Songbridge Music Hacking Tuesdays 5-7PM at Noisebridge
Songbridge is part of the Gamebridge classes on Tuesdays including music production, 2D/3D/physical art and Unity game programming.
- Alex Peake: User:lxpk teaches basic Ableton, expert Logic & Reason MAIL: empowerthyself AT gmail DOT com
- Josh Hertel: User:Jhertel242 multi-instrumentalist performer & producer MAIL: jhertel242 AT yahoo DOT com
- Douglas: Ableton expert
Things to bring
- Laptops (Mac, Windows & Linux all welcome)
- Your MIDI controllers, instruments, interfaces, microphones, etc.
- Physical instruments
Things we have
- Ableton Live Akai Pro controller (Learn how to do the live performance part of Ableton)
- MAudio MIDI Interface
- MIDI Keyboard piano
Audio workstation software
Most of us use Ableton Live (which has a free Mac/Windows demo) or Apple Logic Pro(which is the easiest if you have a Mac). If you're on Linux, LMMS is the only one that's free, open source and Mac/Linux/Windows.
- Mac Windows & Linux:
- LMMS (Let's Make Music) FREE & OPEN SOURCE audio workstation with many instruments and VST support.
- Traktion has version T4 free, T6 costs $60
- Bitwig Studio a new DAW made by former Ableton engineers. Free demo, $269
- Mac & Windows:
- GarageBand comes with many Macs and has an iOS version. Easiest to learn and has built-in music instrument lessons to learn guitar, piano, etc. great for beginners.
- Logic Audio
- Mac & Linux:
- Ardour FREE. Has Ableton Live-style session view and arrangement view.
- Mac Windows & Linux:
Virtual MIDI Keyboard
(Allows you to play 2-3 octaves with your QWERTY keyboard when you don't have a USB MIDI keyboard with you):
Linux Music Production Distros
(in no particular order)
- AV Linux http://www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html
- "...a full complement of the best Linux Audio and Video creation software encompassing both open-source excellence and commercial demos." Free.
- KX Studio http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/
- "...a collection of applications, artwork and plugins, targeted at audio and video production." Free.
- "A complete Live (GNU/LINUX) distribution for musicians and professionals studios based on Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.4." Free.
- Ubuntu Studio http://ubuntustudio.org/
- "...some of the most popular and recently updated audio software in the Linux world." Free.
- Ubuntu Studio VirtualBox image: http://virtualboxes.org/images/ubuntu-studio
- Studio 13.37 (formerly "Puppy Studio") http://www.getstudio1337.com/
- "...the fastest, most fully-featured, pro audio studio in the world! Studio 13.37 (pronounced “leet”) is perfect for professional audio work. Doesn’t need to be installed, and can produce studio-quality results from almost any computer. Unbelievable speed, amazingly low latency, and “zero glitches”. Full money-back guarantee." $50
Linux Audio Software
- Paid and free software. These are stuffs included with AV Linux, but you can obtain them for other Linux distros: http://www.getstudio1337.com/features-2/
- Linux Music-Making Software: http://audio.tutsplus.com/articles/general/29-music-making-apps-for-linux/
Linux Hardware Audio/USB Interfaces
Johny Radio's Hand-Picked Musical Web Toys & Tools
A collection of free, fun, web-based, music and sound producing toys and tools. Includes a mutating windchime, toys that twist your instrument or turn your voice into visual art, gorgeous drones, a visual harp, a fractal synthesizer, faithfully-modeled 808 and 909 drum machines, a modeled plucked string, reverbs, MIDI multitrackers, and full-fledged recording studios. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Web_Sound_Toys
- Amin friscoamin AT gmail DOT com.
|This document is part of the Noisebridge Tour|
|Tour - Manual|
|View or edit this template|