Meeting Notes 2012 07 17
 Introduction and Names
- Zephyr -- he is harsh
- Tom -- bearer of chaos
- Sean -- new!
- Isis -- nothing to say!
- Andy -- reading about the EFF defending a National Security Letter case
- Casey -- People's Republic of Nosebridge
- Ursula -- she's not actually German
- Nick -- tonight we will be printing Nosebridge shirts
- John -- just loitering
- Mike -- is a technowanderer, not a quartermaster
- Josh -- jobhunting
- Nick -- use Plan 9
- Claudia -- working with Carlos
- Renee -- with Carlos
- Carlos -- with Software
- Eric -- working with Claudia for a guy in Africa who makes solar lamps
- Carl -- slayer of chaos
- Max -- is new!!!
- Jesse -- as always, spreading embedded linux, to serve and to learn
- Daniella -- french teacher do all kinds of things, and a real sweetheart
 Short Announcements
Tom has received the order of entropy keys, if you have not got one, track him down.
French class has changed from Sat. afternoon to Friday evening, 6-8PM
Linux 101 will be going three classes. Third class will be in two weeks. Check the wiki!
Daniella was thinking of a French connection meeting, where people talk French and drink wine. Looking for a suggestions for times for it.
Nosebridge t-shirt printing is taking place, in preperation for Toorcamp! Read about Toorcamp and consider going!
Tom lays down the news wrt membership.
We read what's in the binder. It is full of jewels and gold and silver and people's names.
Nick (mischief) is cross-examined at length by the very serious membership. It is the consensus of Noisebridge that he is a member!
 Financial Report
- Funds in bank: $16721.66
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary): $1883.55 , paid through July 7, two months.
 Consensus items
You may wish to invite a knowledgeable volunteer to repeat a brief primer on the consensus process.
We discuss the Thiel Foundation donation. Danny explains how the contract is pretty minimal.
Leif says a couple of reasons why he objects:
- We've done pretty well without having a big reserve, and fund-raising externally. Not looking forward to the next few months discussing how to spend this money.
- Thiel isn't a good person, with Facebook, Paypal, and Palantir, and we shouldn't take his money. This facet of his philanthropic efforts is to improve his reputation -- he's buying whuffie from us, and we're selling it to him, and decreasing of our own reputation. I think it's great that we're not funded by billionaire philanthropists, and I think it would be less great if we do, and that people would be less interested in giving the money. If he just mailed him a check, I wouldn't object.
Z says we should say no to the money, and then use that to boost our reputation.
Jake says we want to do stuff, not troll people.
Jesse says if we had more than $10K, we could rent the downstairs. We selling ourselves short.
John says that three months is a very low prudent reserve.
Danny says there's some deliberation behind that.
Carl says we should take the money, and then ask the community to put proposals.
Jake says that if DARPA gave us money on the same terms, he wouldn't object.
Tom says if the Lord of the Flies gave us money, would we object.
Z says we don't have any control over association after they give us money.
Tom says that we have this problem with every donation we have.
Carl says the good outweighs the hypothetical bad.
Josh says that if he gives money to something cool, he should get a benefit.
Eric says there's an argument that says "don't take the tobacco money", and there's also an argument that says "don't question the motives, question actions"
"Is it tobacco money or Carnegie libraries'", summarises Andy.
Four people who are standing aside.
Danny and Andy and Miloh agree to continue discussion until next week.
 Proposals from last week
(Add any items which pass or are blocked to the Consensus Items History page.)
 Proposals for next week
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
 Discussion Items
If an item of discussion drags on too long, further discussion may be postponed until after the meeting ends.
During discussion, it is not necessary to write down exact what each person says. Record the topics of discussion, and any items of consensus or controversy here. Detailed descriptions of the conversation should go on the discuss page for this meeting.
 End of Meeting
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Return the membership binder to it's rightful location.
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes, then save them to the wiki.
- Send a summary of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
- Enjoy the company of your fellow hacker or robot.
- Discuss any items for which there was not time during the meeting.