Meeting Notes 2011 06 21
Note-taker: Danny O'Brien
 Introduction and Names
Eric -- AV geek
Devon -- Architecture geek. New! Hi, Devon, hope I got your name right.
Espen -- Norwegian psychology teaching building geek
Cynthia -- Kitchen geek
Johann -- industrial design geek
Jenny -- visiting academicky geek
Danny -- meta geek
Aesthetix - pissing off people geek (not true!)
Kelly -- photography geek
Alexander -- just moved in, startuppy chaos music geek
Michael -- late-coming geek
 Financial Report
Funds in bank: $16835, $3600 in rent going out shortly
We paid $755 in PG&E Electricity bill. It seemed high. Danny pledged to write an email to nb-discuss, and to hell with the consequences. We will see next month if it is still high.
(Note, the thread and analysis in nb-discuss uncovered that a) there are a lot of days in this particular month, b) we pay more in the Summer for our electricity, c) the power usage has gone up, nonetheless, d) maybe it is the increase in cooking, e) maybe it is the vending machine, f) we have a powermeter on the vending machine so we could go check. Etc.)
Jenny pointed to http://growingenergylabs.com/ a friendly startup looking at solar and stuff.
 Membership Binder
Names were read off! New members are incoming!
 What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
This is the active list of events from the main page:
- Noisebridge Monthly Cleanup, See link for further info Sunday, March 16, 12:00:
- GodWaffleNoisePancakes, Saturday, March 22, 12:00:
Please refrain from deleting others' classes without first getting agreement.
You may do this by using a valid Discuss list email address, or else by going anonymous if you really must.
- 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays )- Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, and others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many sessions even designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm Algorithms Study Group - Algorithms I Study Group for autodidacts in Turing.
- 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself.
- 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Front-end Web Development - Learn HTML/CSS/JS. We're covering the basics and then going in-depth on different topics every week. Recap of last week's material starts at 7:30 pm. Class updates posted on the WebDev list, Discuss list and the Announce list.
- Take Out the Trash Night -- Round One
- 3:00 pm - 7:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself. New event as of 2014-01-21
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Advanced Python Slaying the web with Python 2.7 & 3.3. Instructed by Liz and Kellan in Turing.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Ruby and Rails class - Seminar and workshop for learning everything about Ruby, Rails, and web application development (Church classroom). See the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 7:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm Locks Sport. Picking, re-pinning, etc. Try to bring your own picks. If not, we will try to make some here. We will go on as long as people want to stick around. Also come check out Sundays' 1:00 pm Lock Sport Collaboration event listed below.
- 6:00 pm Replicator Wednesday! New series started January 9th!
- 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm BACE Timebank (1st Wednesdays every odd month) - Help organize community mutual aid by trading in equal time credits. To find out more and join go to sfbace.org.
- 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm Feminist Book Club for Men - On the second Wednesday of every month, we try to educate ourselves about feminism and to ultimately prevent ourselves from becoming jerks.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm PyClass - Intro to Python in Church Classroom.
- 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning!
- 6:00 pm-8:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for an open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself. Started on 2013-12-16, but new participants always welcome here!
- 6:30 pm Digital Archivists - Help build a book scanner for Noisebridge (on hiatus)
- 7:00 pm Machine_Learning - Machine Learning Meetup (every 2 weeks)
- 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm 3D Thursday Weekly meetup (non-3rd-thursdays) at Noisebridge focusing on 3D Printers, CNC machines, FabLabs, and replicating machines of all kinds.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Letter Lovers - Learn & create calligraphy, lettering, fonts, handwriting, and all things letters. On hiatus until ??
- 8:00 pm Front-end Web Development Lab - Understand by doing! A recap of Monday's lecture in workshop form - and a good time for one-on-one help with the material. Lab updates posted on the Discuss list and the Announce list.
- 8:00 pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - lightning 5min talks every 3rd Thursday of the month
- 1:00 pm - 7:30pm Tastebridge 2.0 @ Kitchen (1st & 3rd Fridays)
- 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring @ CollaborationStation
- 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm Modular and Analog Synth Workshop NEXT WORKSHOP TBA Learn the basics of analog synthesis on a modular synth with Douglas. we will meet in the church.
- 12:30 pm - 7:30 pm Dungeons and Dragons in Church, not currently looking for new players.
- 1:00 pm Occasional Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. Check the TOOOL SF announcement list for details. Also come check out Wednesdays' 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm Lock Sport event listed above.
- 2:00 pm BAHA - Bay Area Hacker's Association - security meeting (2nd Sundays only)
- 3:00 pm Go - Playing of the Go board game. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play there.
- 4:00 pm Elements_of_Image_Making Bi-Weekly Analogue and DIY film making meetup/hangout/nerdout
- 6:00 pm Plan 9 class
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
 Project Updates
Eric is doing a talk show on TV! It will be filmed live in a boat in the beach, and then backhauled to Sutro Tower then sent into space. It will return via the Galaxy 19 satellite, and he enquired as to whether it would be possible to set up a satellite receiver in the space to capture his living essence, liive.
It was mooted that we are not allowed onto the roof "except to put up antenna". There was some tentativeness about this opinion. Eric was encouraged to email https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/rack and ask about this.
 Consensus items
No consensus items.
 Discussion Items
Aestetix outlined a project that would encourage people to donate money to NB, and in return, a small posse of technical people would help them to set up Tor nodes. The various details of this had been bounced around for a while between people at NB, EFF, and Tor, but in the end the Treasurer suggested the following model, separate from Noisebridge and run by said posse:
- Set up a new paypal account that people can donate money to
- Every time a donation is made to that paypal account, someone (or a script) donates some of that money to Noisebridge/EFF, and uses the rest of the cash to launch a Tor node (however we decide to do it technically)
- Have NB Fearless Treasurer issue a donation receipt from Noisebridge to the original donor
The discussion is still ongoing -- those interested in helping should get in touch with Aestetix.
Everyone nodded enthusiastically, and dined on Cynthia's ginger and cinnamon sliced yams.
Due to an error in consensus comprehension, Eric called a motion for the meeting to be adjourned. Fortunately, the error threw an exception, so the meeting successfully quit anyway.
We went on to discuss the madness that doing a talk show in a boat entails, and it was revealed that Eric is a trained scuba diver, and so were other people, and so on and so forth.