Meeting Notes 2011 06 21
Note-taker: Danny O'Brien
 Introduction and Names
Eric -- AV geek
Devon -- Architecture geek. New! Hi, Devon, hope I got your name right.
Espen -- Norwegian psychology teaching building geek
Cynthia -- Kitchen geek
Johann -- industrial design geek
Jenny -- visiting academicky geek
Danny -- meta geek
Aesthetix - pissing off people geek (not true!)
Kelly -- photography geek
Alexander -- just moved in, startuppy chaos music geek
Michael -- late-coming geek
 Financial Report
Funds in bank: $16835, $3600 in rent going out shortly
We paid $755 in PG&E Electricity bill. It seemed high. Danny pledged to write an email to nb-discuss, and to hell with the consequences. We will see next month if it is still high.
(Note, the thread and analysis in nb-discuss uncovered that a) there are a lot of days in this particular month, b) we pay more in the Summer for our electricity, c) the power usage has gone up, nonetheless, d) maybe it is the increase in cooking, e) maybe it is the vending machine, f) we have a powermeter on the vending machine so we could go check. Etc.)
Jenny pointed to http://growingenergylabs.com/ a friendly startup looking at solar and stuff.
 Membership Binder
Names were read off! New members are incoming!
 What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
This is the active list of events from the main page:
Not all events make it onto this calendar. And some of the listings here may be out of date.
Many events only make it to the Discussion or Announcements mailing lists, IRC, our Noisebridge Meetup page <https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge>, or in person at Tuesday meetings. Best of all, Noisebridge is about people getting together at the space in San Francisco to do stuff. DO pay attention, as some eventSs just arise organically from the bottom up!
Want to host your event at Noisebridge? We like seeing classes and talks on interesting things pertaining to various subjects of hacking. Most of all, we like seeing familiar faces. Please participate in the space and our weekly Tuesday meetings to see if we're the right audience for what you want to share before announcing a new event. Additionally, please see our events hosting page for suggestions on how to use Noisebridge for your event/class/workshop.
Audio Church, Meet up for an hour long Show and Tell. Share the hardware and software instruments you've worked on at home or around Noisebridge.... all are strongly encouraged to attend and share their enthusiasm! Please add yourself to the wiki page and a one sentence re-cap of what you plan to bring. See you at 2pm! This will be our second meetup! Sunday, December 10, 14:00:
Conflict Resolution for the Holidays!, Learn how to better navigate challenging individuals and social situations with a fun and interactive workshop, just in time for the holidays! Thursday, December 14, 18:30:
Noisebridge Space Program, HackItorium. Discussion of progress and ideas about Noisebridge's upcoming move and fundraising projects. See Moving, Noisebridge Space Program, nbsp for more details and previous meeting notes. Saturday, December 16, 18:00:
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E Take Out the Trash Night - Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- E 2nd Monday of the Month, 6:00pm to 8:00 pm Make:SF Project Build Hello Makers, We continue our maker journey and our December MeetUp will be at the historic NoiseBridge! We'll have our usual selection of projects. Each one is merely $10, and you take it home with you after you build it with our gear. December we have an additional food project. If you have your own project or idea, bring it! First timers and skilled makers come to this meetup and its always fun and informative. RSVP to our Meetup page and I will connect you with the info on how you too can be excellent at NoiseBridge.  Mondays are very busy at NoiseBridge. We predict you will return to NoiseBridge soon for their classes. Diana 271-4286.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays NOTE: CHM WILL BE ON BREAK FROM 12-18-17 to 1-1-18 Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, J, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, Cheng, Greg, and/or a host of others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Intermediate Python with PyClass - Crash course in the Python standard library. Monday session is held in Church Classroom.
 Super Tuesdays!
- E 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Game Dev Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share C# Unity coding, 2D/3D art, design, writing and audio. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (Noise Square Table).
- E 8:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- 2nd, 4th Wednesday - 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Crypto Builder's Meetup -- Join up for casual lightning talks and hacking on crypto/blockchain/decentralization in the Hackatorium. For Crypto Builder's Meetup on December 6th, the even will not be taking place at Noisebridge, but instead Digital Garage. For more information visit: https://www.meetup.com/sfhackdays/events/245397417/
- 1st 3rd 5th 8:30 pm to 10:30pm pm FUN Tutoring in Church or CollaborationStations Meetup! - Join up for casual lightning talks aSnd hacking on crypto/blockchain/decentralized in the Hackatorium.
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- 1st,3rd 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm Haskell Class in Church.
- E Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes ~1:30am to 2:30am.
- E 8:00 pm to 9:00pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - Ten 5min talks in an hour, on any topic! Small 5MoFs every Thursday-ish, bigger ones on the 3rd Thursday of the month.
- biweekly 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm Laser Safety Training every other Thursday evening. RSVP on meetup.com
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Math class in Turing! Right now we're proving our way through Munkres's Topology.
- 3rd Noisebridge Gaming Archivists Meetup 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm -- Come play, fix, mod retro consoles. Create and play is our motto! If you like video games, this is the place for you.
- 1st 3rd 5th 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm Computerology (The study of computers, or any kind of work with computers; computing.) in Church or CollaborationStation.
- 1st 3rd 5th 8:30 pm to 10:30pm pm FUN Tutoring in Church or CollaborationStation
- E 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm - Privacy hackathon! Developers, designers, activists, journalists, and concerned citizens are all welcome to join us every Saturday at Noisebridge (at the tables in the back) to help contribute to free, open source, privacy-enhancing softwar8:00 pm to 10:00e that the world desperately needs. Brought to you by the Cypherpunks Write Code meetup group <-- you can RSVP here. Edward Snowden risked everything to teach us how badly new privacy-enhancing software needs to exist. Let's make it happen!
- E 11:00 am to 1:00 pm Sunday Morning iOS Peer Lab Meetup - iOS Meetup for people want to hack together. Feel free to do whatever you want: work on your project, ask and teach each other, have a chat with folks.
- alternating monthly 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn more about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the [httpsS://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/tooolsf TOOOL SF announcement list] for details.
- E 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm Hack Days - We're getting together every Sunday and working on stuff together! (Bots/Robotics/Cybernetics/AI/ML/Crypto/Infrastructure/Dapps/etc). We're all about learning, sharing, and building together. church Bring what you're working on, or at least a healthy appetite to learn and share. All-in-all this will be a space to philosophize and dream as much as practice, hack, and publish. :)
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
 Project Updates
Eric is doing a talk show on TV! It will be filmed live in a boat in the beach, and then backhauled to Sutro Tower then sent into space. It will return via the Galaxy 19 satellite, and he enquired as to whether it would be possible to set up a satellite receiver in the space to capture his living essence, liive.
It was mooted that we are not allowed onto the roof "except to put up antenna". There was some tentativeness about this opinion. Eric was encouraged to email https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/rack and ask about this.
 Consensus items
No consensus items.
 Discussion Items
Aestetix outlined a project that would encourage people to donate money to NB, and in return, a small posse of technical people would help them to set up Tor nodes. The various details of this had been bounced around for a while between people at NB, EFF, and Tor, but in the end the Treasurer suggested the following model, separate from Noisebridge and run by said posse:
- Set up a new paypal account that people can donate money to
- Every time a donation is made to that paypal account, someone (or a script) donates some of that money to Noisebridge/EFF, and uses the rest of the cash to launch a Tor node (however we decide to do it technically)
- Have NB Fearless Treasurer issue a donation receipt from Noisebridge to the original donor
The discussion is still ongoing -- those interested in helping should get in touch with Aestetix.
Everyone nodded enthusiastically, and dined on Cynthia's ginger and cinnamon sliced yams.
Due to an error in consensus comprehension, Eric called a motion for the meeting to be adjourned. Fortunately, the error threw an exception, so the meeting successfully quit anyway.
We went on to discuss the madness that doing a talk show in a boat entails, and it was revealed that Eric is a trained scuba diver, and so were other people, and so on and so forth.