Meeting Notes 2011 05 24
Note-taker: Liz Henry
Moderator: Danny O'Brien
 Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions: Danny. Max from Portland. Mike, Kelly who hacks brains and your money, the guy eating dinner, some people at other table, John the australian guy, Shannon, and some Arduino people, Randall, Alex, Ilya the guy doing Hack Politics, Ryan, Julian, Philip who is writing code, Steve here for the first time, and the entire German Corner.
What's going on at Noisebridge. Go look at the wiki. We have 5 minutes of fame, we did lots of Maker Faire things, vegan hacking coming up, SF chapter of the Open organization of lock pickers who will do their event as soon as they can break in. BioBridge, Django, etc. Danny explains BioBridge which is an Arduino thing set up to sense things about the kombucha. They measure turbidity, temperature, ph, and so on. They got a Maker Faire 2011 editor's choice award. Hey, cool, the brewing project spawned an electronics project. Second Saturday is coming up in 3 weeks for June and is for infrastructure hacking. We are a do-ocracy etc etc. New guy Ryan asks who to talk with because his company is just donating some servers. Kelly says to email the rack list (https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo) and ask.
Crutcher is putting together a group on meta-heuristic optimization. He has been putting a lot of time into it lately and wants to know if anyone else is interested.
 Financial Report
Funds in bank: 16,913.79. Rent has not gone through yet, so subtract rent from that. There is also another transfer about to go through. Tshirt money from Maker Faire has not come in yet.
Our taxes. Which were late. We forgot to file an extension. Our tax guy, we have issues with him. He did our taxes last year and they were screwed up. He had to redo them and claimed his assistant did them wrong. OUr treasurer caught the errors. He said he would do our taxes for free this year in exchange. Maybe that wasn't such a good idea. We should have hired someone else. He told us the late fee was $20 a month but the IRS tells us it is $20 per business day , since the 16th. We sent him our information on the 19th and we haven't heard back from him and then finally this morning heard from him. He can't get to our stuff for another week or so. ($20 a day). What do people think we should do at this point?
We don't pay any taxes, we just file a 990N. But it is complex enough to need someone professional to do it for us. How did we find this guy? He's a hipster accountant. T*x N*nja. Feedback from people at the meeting: Why would we ever trust this guy again?
What other non profits might talk with us about what they do or rec us a tax person? Hackerdojo? Walk SF? Box Shop?
 Membership Binder
Ryan Salisbury is now been read for 4 weeks and is up for membership Eric Steinberg Ryan wants to be a member because the space looks interesting and could be useful to him, tools are awesome, and he wants to support the space and the work it does. Crutcher who is wearing a red shirt that says BLOCK asks if he likes arguments that go on and on and on and on. Ryan says, give him an example of an argument. And that some are good for the mailing list, like bedbugs, which he has seen no evidence of. Kelly grills Ryan on his feelings about consensus decision making. Ryan mentions radical bike activism and thinks consensus okay but would tend to drop out of exhausting long arguments rather than blocking for reasons he doesn't feel very strongly about it. Alex says he has good insight into plasma treating polyurethane or something. Woo! Gosh we are asking Ryan quite a lot of questions. Ryan contributed to iChat's videoconferencing framework and various other software projects. People are asking Ryan quite a lot of questions. We devolve into general Apple dev gossip. Apparently he brought several 6 packs already. He goes off to Safeway for a while.
Ryan is discussed briefly and is now a member.
 What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
This is the active list of events from the main page:
Not all events make it onto this calendar. Many events only make it to the Discussion or Announcements mailing lists, IRC or in person at Tuesday meetings. Best of all, Noisebridge is about people getting together at the space in San Francisco to do stuff. DO pay attention, as some events just arise organically from the bottom up!
Want to host your event at Noisebridge? We like seeing classes and talks on interesting things pertaining to various subjects of hacking. Most of all, we like seeing familiar faces. Please participate in the space and our weekly Tuesday meetings to see if we're the right audience for what you want to share before announcing a new event. Additionally, please see our events hosting page for suggestions on how to use Noisebridge for your event/class/workshop.
No weekday Upcoming Events listed for January '17
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 21-Jan-2017 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Damion Romero (L.A.), Vulcanus 68, Jack Hertz, Telecaves (L.A.), Wall Saturday, January 21, 12:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 11-Feb-2017 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Compression of the Chest Cavity Miracle (L.A.), Angst Hase Pfeffer Nase, DOTR (PA), Coagulator, James Williamson Saturday, February 11, 12:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 11-Mar-2017 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: I Should Have Cut The Eyes Different (Branpos/Ingalls/Grusel), Turjurikkuja, Jen Belleville & Kevin Cocoran, Coconut, Clarke Robinson Saturday, March 11, 12:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 08-Apr-2017 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: TBD Saturday, April 8, 12:00:
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays (CHM will be on break until after the holidays, the next one is 1/9/2017) - Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, J, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, Cheng, Greg, and/or a host of others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 2nd 7:00pm to 9:00pm Cryptopal working group - Learn cryptography through coding challenges that demonstrate attacks on real-world cryptography. A different way to learn than taking a class or reading a book!
- E Take Out the Trash Night -- Round One Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Intermediate Python with PyClass - Crash course in the Python standard library. Monday session is held in Turing Classroom.
 Super Tuesdays!
- E 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm Songbridge Music Making Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly music making and mentoring meetup with Ableton/GarageBand/Logic tutorials for beginners and peer collabs. (Noise Square Table).
- 1st 3rd 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm Sewing and Crafting - Come learn how to use the sewing machines or just work on a craft (e.g. knitting, crocheting, felt working, embroidery, leatherworking, beading, etc.). All skill levels are welcome.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Ruby and Rails class - Seminar and workshop for learning everything about Ruby, Rails, and web application development (Church classroom). See the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Game Dev Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share C# Unity coding, 2D/3D art, design, writing and audio. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (Noise Square Table).
- E 8:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- E (On hiatus for the month of November) A Hacker's Introduction to Machine Learning : Lectures, discussions, and implementation notes regarding a weekly topic in machine learning. Updates and details here: MachineLearning.
- alternating monthly 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm - Cyberspectrum: Software Defined Radio Meetup in the Hackatorium(new): A place to learn and exchange ideas about SDR. Presentations on concepts, mystery signals, hardware/software and cool applications. Event alternates monthly between SF and the South Bay.
- 1st Wednesday of every month, 7:30-9. with Software; Art() Present your personal and expressive art made with software/hardware of your own making and get feedback and critical dialogue from fellow artist/technologists. Note: next meeting November 2 (not in October) [Last upateded September, 2016].
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- E 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm - Career Change: How to kickstart your new career in web development
- 1st 3rd 7:00 pm DefCon 415 Group Hacker Meetup Description: Hacking, computer security, Digital Rights, Privacy, Decentralization, Anarchism, CyberPunk, etc a(A)a
- E Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes ~1:30am to 2:30am.
- E 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm The Go group meets up on Wednesdays and Thursdays to play.
- E 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm 5 Minutes of Fame 5 minute lightning talks from the SF community
- E 8:00 pm to 9:00pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - Ten 5min talks in an hour, on any topic! Every 3rd Thursday of the month.
- biweekly 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm Programming for Interviews every other Thursday evening. RSVP on meetup.com
- biweekly 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm Laser Safety Training every other Thursday evening. RSVP on meetup.com
- 1st 3rd 5th 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm Computerology in Turing or CollaborationStation, understanding and using computers
- 1st 3rd 5th 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring @ CollaborationStation
- 3rd Noisebridge Gaming Archivists Meetup 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm -- Come play, fix, mod retro consoles. Create and play is our motto! If you like video games, this is the place for you.
- E 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm CPP Class discussion in Hackitorum/Fox Lounge/Church. Currently looking for folks wanting to help plan out lessons.
- E 1:00 pm Zine Hacking Hacking on the good ol' fashioned analog Zine with Torrie, Mari and anyone who wants to come and be excellent and make excellent art.
- alternating monthly 3:00 pm Goths & Crafts Spooky people making spooky things in the sewing area. All kinds of crafts welcome and things don't necessarily have to be goth. But if you have an eye towards the darker side of the color spectrum, this may be for you!
- E 12:30 pm to 7:30 pm Dungeons and Dragons in Church, currently looking for new players.
- alternating monthly 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn more about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the TOOOL SF announcement list for details.
- E 3:00 pm Go - Playing of the Go board game. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play there.
- E 6:00 pm Plan 9 class (if not Noisebridge check Sycamore)
- E 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm .impact Workathons in Turing classrom. Work on projects that will help humanity & beyond.
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
 Project Updates
(Anyone doing interesting projects is welcome to chip in here.)
 Consensus items
(Danny O'B up for secretary)
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
 Discussion Items
Danny recuses himself from being the moderator for the meeting since he is the subject of it. Item, that Noisebridge make Danny O'Brien secretary. This was discussed last week. Some people expressed uneasiness that Danny has TOO MUCH POWER.
Crutcher, who is wearing a hilarious bright red tshirt that says BLOCK on it, remarks that Danny looks rather shifty.
What does the secretary do? They interface with companies for us. They see to it that notes are taken at meetings. They negotiate with insurance so Kelly doesn't have to, and track the membership stuff. Stuff that is necessary which isn't actually bookkeeping. Kelly just wants a helper to do a bunch of work, basically, and Danny has agreed to do it.
No one blocks.
Danny adds in that SETH HAS BEEN VERY AWESOME as secretary.
 End of Meeting
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Put back the membership binder by the Shrine.
- Save the meeting notes to the wiki.
- Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
- Copy the Meeting Notes Template for next week's agenda and update the main wiki page's link to it.
- Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot.