Meeting Notes 2011 05 17
WHY THE HELL ARE WE DAISY-CHAINING SURGE PROTECTORS WHEN THERE'S POWER ALL ALONG THIS BITCH
There are six daisy-chained power strips here.
FUCK IT WE'RE NOT WAITING FOR KELLY
 Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions: What's your name, what do you do, and if you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the moderator and go left.
- A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
NOISEBRIDGE IS A COMMUNITY OF MISFITS AND WEIRDOS (GERMAN POSTMODERNISM) where you can make pretty much anything. It is also a corporation. This is the meeting of that corporation. He's Shannon. He's leading this meeting.
- Greg: new to the space
- Danny: not checking his email
- Miloh: brought some stickers. Also some 3D stuff
- Owen: tech writing, editing, seeing if anyone's carpooling to maker faire, kinda on the edge of the fence, going, not going, so if you're going, let me know. (Lives in San Francisco. North beach.)
- John: alcoholic in training, going to maker faire (Danny O recommends not going by car)
- Murph: student from Illinois, visiting for two weeks
- Carl: oldfag.
- Stiney: been here before.
- Mike: do little bits of stuff here and there, of a personal nature, not corporate infrastructure
- Ryan: wanna be a member, this week might not be the week where that can happen, but soon
- THIS IS MRDOMINO. HE IS TAKING NOTES.
- Greg: actually new to the space. Moved here a week ago.
- Noisebridge: a space
- Robert: came in a little late, usually not late.
Noisebridge has lots of stuff! At least 3 competing calendars and a list of things that might or might not be happening during the week.
Most interesting: Circuit Hacking Monday. Starts at 7. Continues forever. If you have never held a soldering iron before in your life but you would like to, this is where to start. If you have a tricky problem in quantum thermal coupling, they might help you.
Tonight we will do some primary reduction after the meeting. (Tearing shit apart for its components.)
Other things: this meeting, various meetups for languages both human and computer, Ruby class happening right now, they're gonna work on projects now.
Wednesdays there's SCoW. Sewing, crafting, and workshops.
Code thing that happens on the down-low. ???
If something is on the wiki and doesn't seem to be happening anymore, you can help by removing it or taking it over.
5MoF is happening this Thursday! It is our lightning talk series. We had porn clowns once.
 Financial Report
Dongs in bank: enough.
Kelly: Um so. *ahem* So the first thing is I forgot to file our tax extension thing [DOBrien: and we're all going to jail] This does not in any way endanger our nonprofit status. What this does is it incurs some sort of fine which I will hopefully be able to pay myself.
Miloh: IRS is busy worrying about some churches these days. Oh wait they don't have taxes. They didn't file.
Kelly: I talked to our tax guy. It's fairly straightforward to file so I'm doing that now. But in doing them I pulled up a year-to-date profit and loss from 2010. It's pretty disturbing. We lost money in 2010.
DOBrien: 2010 was our suck year, right?
Kelly: For the year of 2009, our total income was $72000 and hey note-taker? I have a PDF here so you don't have to take all the notes.
Note-taker [silently]: DONE TAKING NOTES BITCHES, AWWWW YEEEEEE
Kelly: way less income, bulk of that is decreased membership dues. Donations also went down, but not by as much. Last year we had some money. This year we lost some money.
DOBrien: This is only retrospectively disturbing. We all know we had to scramble, etc. It's not like 2010 was sucking down the money that we made this year.
Kelly: We need to do something differently this year. We had some winter panic, but then things went back to where they were.
Shannon: Can we permanently agree to refer to it that way, as the winter panic?
John: Shouldn't we wait till after Maker Faire and then reassess what --
Kelly: Pushing the regular donations thing is good, and we should keep doing that, but I think we need to have a maybe 2 or 3 times a year [some: PLEDGE DRIVE!] publicity push. Generally speaking, it seems that the way we earn the most money is in financial panics. "Save noisebridge" works pretty well, but maybe there are some positive things we could say rather than "make sure we don't die".
Jason: We should have a panic. We should have a party. With beer.
Shannon: Problem: Everyone goes to our parties and gets too drunk to remember to give us money.
DObrien: I move that we have an extended discussion of this after the meeting.
 Membership Binder
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month.
- Anyone up for join this week should introduce themselves then leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime) for the rest of the group. The rest of the meeting should consense on whether they may join.
How many members are there? 45ish. We get about a third of our income from random donations. (Actually more than that.) SO PAY US MONEY YOU DONGS
You don't need to bring back beer. You can bring back oranges and shit. If you bring back an ostrich that we can ride, that'd be awesome.
One person. Printer soap opera. Hand-wrote a form. Since then Miloh has printed out a shitton.
Ryan Salsbury: didn't put anything under "why?". He was finished writing it as the printer explanation was still going on. He has one tick so far.
How many weeks have you been there? (Say 3.)
I think I did 3 meetings.
This is his third tick. Ba-bam.
And now he has two sponsors.
Wait we have someone else. Eric Steinberg. He has not completed the rigamarole. Will the thresher please produce the binder-switching stick? He has three tick marks as well, unless he's been hidden in the other binder for the last several weeks, in which case he has more. Anyway that was the binder.
 What's Going On at Noisebridge
One short sentence about each of the following:
This is the active list of events from the main page:
Not all events make it onto this calendar. Many events only make it to the Discussion or Announcements mailing lists, IRC or in person at Tuesday meetings. Best of all, Noisebridge is about people getting together at the space in San Francisco to do stuff. DO pay attention, as some events just arise organically from the bottom up!
Want to host your event at Noisebridge? We like seeing classes and talks on interesting things pertaining to various subjects of hacking. Most of all, we like seeing familiar faces. Please participate in the space and our weekly Tuesday meetings to see if we're the right audience for what you want to share before announcing a new event. Additionally, please see our events hosting page for suggestions on how to use Noisebridge for your event/class/workshop.
No weekday Upcoming Events listed for January '17
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 21-Jan-2017 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Damion Romero (L.A.), Vulcanus 68, Jack Hertz, Telecaves (L.A.), Wall Saturday, January 21, 12:00:
STEM Academy Field Trip,
4-Feb-2017 Field Trip We will have teenagers from The STEM Academy get a tour of Noisebridge and learn to solder
Anyone is welcome to come and help with this event. Contact "J" for more information. Saturday, February 4, 12:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 11-Feb-2017 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: Compression of the Chest Cavity Miracle (L.A.), Angst Hase Pfeffer Nase, DOTR (PA), Coagulator, James Williamson Saturday, February 11, 12:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 11-Mar-2017 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: I Should Have Cut The Eyes Different (Branpos/Ingalls/Grusel), Turjurikkuja, Jen Belleville & Kevin Cocoran, Coconut, Clarke Robinson Saturday, March 11, 12:00:
GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES,
The 08-Apr-2017 GODWAFFLE NOISE PANCAKES has experimental acts, electronic sounds, & noise, with gourmet vegan pancakes!
Bands: TBD Saturday, April 8, 12:00:
E - Every week.
1st - Certain weeks, e.g. 1st week only.
-2nd - Except certain weeks, or other schedule exceptions.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays (CHM will be on break until after the holidays, the next one is 1/9/2017) - Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, J, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, Cheng, Greg, and/or a host of others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 2nd 7:00pm to 9:00pm Cryptopal working group - Learn cryptography through coding challenges that demonstrate attacks on real-world cryptography. A different way to learn than taking a class or reading a book!
- E Take Out the Trash Night -- Round One Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Intermediate Python with PyClass - Crash course in the Python standard library. Monday session is held in Turing Classroom.
 Super Tuesdays!
- E 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm Songbridge Music Making Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly music making and mentoring meetup with Ableton/GarageBand/Logic tutorials for beginners and peer collabs. (Noise Square Table).
- 1st 3rd 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm Sewing and Crafting - Come learn how to use the sewing machines or just work on a craft (e.g. knitting, crocheting, felt working, embroidery, leatherworking, beading, etc.). All skill levels are welcome.
- E 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm Ruby and Rails class - Seminar and workshop for learning everything about Ruby, Rails, and web application development (Church classroom). See the Announce list for weekly updates.
- E 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm Gamebridge Unityversity Game Dev Tuesdays - Beginner-friendly game development class and meetup, learn and share C# Unity coding, 2D/3D art, design, writing and audio. Learn how to mentor and help teach game dev. (Noise Square Table).
- E 8:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- E (On hiatus for the month of November) A Hacker's Introduction to Machine Learning : Lectures, discussions, and implementation notes regarding a weekly topic in machine learning. Updates and details here: MachineLearning.
- alternating monthly 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm - Cyberspectrum: Software Defined Radio Meetup in the Hackatorium(new): A place to learn and exchange ideas about SDR. Presentations on concepts, mystery signals, hardware/software and cool applications. Event alternates monthly between SF and the South Bay.
- 1st Wednesday of every month, 7:30-9. with Software; Art() Present your personal and expressive art made with software/hardware of your own making and get feedback and critical dialogue from fellow artist/technologists. Note: next meeting November 2 (not in October) [Last upateded September, 2016].
- E 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- E 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm - Career Change: How to kickstart your new career in web development
- 1st 3rd 7:00 pm DefCon 415 Group Hacker Meetup Description: Hacking, computer security, Digital Rights, Privacy, Decentralization, Anarchism, CyberPunk, etc a(A)a
- E Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes ~1:30am to 2:30am.
- E 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm The Go group meets up on Wednesdays and Thursdays to play.
- E 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm 5 Minutes of Fame 5 minute lightning talks from the SF community
- E 8:00 pm to 9:00pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - Ten 5min talks in an hour, on any topic! Every 3rd Thursday of the month.
- biweekly 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm Programming for Interviews every other Thursday evening. RSVP on meetup.com
- biweekly 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm Laser Safety Training every other Thursday evening. RSVP on meetup.com
- 1st 3rd 5th 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm Computerology in Turing or CollaborationStation, understanding and using computers
- 1st 3rd 5th 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring @ CollaborationStation
- 3rd Noisebridge Gaming Archivists Meetup 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm -- Come play, fix, mod retro consoles. Create and play is our motto! If you like video games, this is the place for you.
- E 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm CPP Class discussion in Hackitorum/Fox Lounge/Church. Currently looking for folks wanting to help plan out lessons.
- E 1:00 pm Zine Hacking Hacking on the good ol' fashioned analog Zine with Torrie, Mari and anyone who wants to come and be excellent and make excellent art.
- alternating monthly 3:00 pm Goths & Crafts Spooky people making spooky things in the sewing area. All kinds of crafts welcome and things don't necessarily have to be goth. But if you have an eye towards the darker side of the color spectrum, this may be for you!
- E 12:30 pm to 7:30 pm Dungeons and Dragons in Church, currently looking for new players.
- alternating monthly 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn more about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the TOOOL SF announcement list for details.
- E 3:00 pm Go - Playing of the Go board game. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play there.
- E 6:00 pm Plan 9 class (if not Noisebridge check Sycamore)
- E 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm .impact Workathons in Turing classrom. Work on projects that will help humanity & beyond.
- Second Saturdays are Noisebridge hackathon:
a casual monthly event dedicated to working on the space or relevant projects and building community. This is a great time to get feedback or help on any projects you have been considering that center around the space, culture, and infrastructure of Noisebridge. You can also help with existing projects and find out ways to get involved.
- Five Minutes of Fame
- Bay Area Hackers Association - (Second Sunday, 2PM)
 Project Updates
Miloh: We got bins. Pay up or remove your names from the funding.
If you are interested in learning primary reduction from an acknowledged master, and also you want to help out with moving all the crap, then you should be here after the meeting. If members share horizontal space, something something shrine THE SHRINE IS IN CHURCH. (It obviously belongs there. Why do people keep moving it?)
 Consensus items
"That NB pay for the THE HOUNDS OF BEDBUG WAR" (Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
DObrien: okay so when it was first proposed, we were in the middle of a bedbug panic. We were selling bedbugs, buying bitcoins, that sort of thing. In order to allay fears, I said let's get some dogs in to sniff around, tell us if there are any, and then leave, it being everybody's view that dogs can detect bedbugs. [Apparently they can also detect fleas.] Anyway, we also ordered a bedbug sentry, which turned out to be a pile of yeast and a pile of sugar, which mix to give off CO2 which bedbugs like. At no point were these things described as "yeast" or "sugar". They were described as "enabling agent" and "premix". Surfactant. It's under the couch. Two people who actually have had bedbugs rather than just nightmares of them came in and said "there are no bedbugs here". After the email to the list, someone no one knows was like "NOISEBRIDGE HAS BEDBUGS. AVOID" on twitter. I chatted to Aestetix about his -- not evidence, what was the phrase? His "reports". [Others: his "coincidences". His "synchronicities."] I'm not totally convinced, but I'm not sure how we establish a lack of bedbugs.
Shannon: The thing I always heard is that you take the thing that has bedbugs and you surround it by bedbugs.
DOBrien: The problem is the conclusive evidence that proves there are no bedbugs. I checked out the dogs. I'm not a dog man. The dogs seem to be pretty solidly reliable. There's a NYTimes article asking if dogs test bedbugs. Problem: it's $175 to $250 to do this. I'm not gonna pay $250 to (Jason pledges $20) have dogs tell us there aren't bedbugs when I'm a cat person.
Jason: I come to the space a fair amount. I've never encountered the bedbugs discussion except in the context of this meeting. What?
DOBrien: every 12 months, someone goes "it's almost inevitable that we have bedbugs." And then a bunch of people go "oh my god I had to set fire to my entire country to escape the bedbugs." And then someone else is like "yeah they had to salt the earth" etc. and then you hear people say that other people say that they're not coming to Noisebridge anymore.
Shannon: when bedbugs came up a year ago, "bedbugs" was code for "hippies". People were complaining about the fact that we might have bedbugs because there were a bunch of hippies around.
DObrien: The consensus item is do we spend $250 of noisebridge's precious funds to bring in a bunch of sniffer dogs to tell us we don't have bedbugs? How about rather than getting the couch
Kelly: Dude, who cares? This is our quarterly "people who don't check their facts panic and don't go to noisebridge."
We have consensus that we're not gonna do anything, and DObrien withdraws his proposal so we don't even need to have consensus on it.
 Discussion Items
What's happening with maker faire?
Praveen sent out a Goople Broups document link to sign up.
Is there anything more happening than that?
Have we got a booth?
Yes. And if you want to help out, you might with nonzero probability get a pass.
Is there a plan for what the booth is doing?
It's quite ad-hoc. It's a mini hackerspace away from Noisebridge in among the hackerspaces.
Are we gonna bring stuff?
Just bring the robot.
We should totally bring the robot if we can fit it into a vehicle.
Talk to Jake about the robot. The problem is that if people aren't there to guard it, it just sits there or gets f'ed with. So what do we do about that?
We take it. Or fix it.
Is whoever is taking responsibility for the maker faire presence here tonight?
Miloh will take as much responsibility as he can for that. He'll be at the booth. At the moment, it seems like we might have the makerbots and some payphones.
Laser cutter. What could possibly go wrong?
Is the NBTV working?
What's NBTV? Noisebridge Television. The big LED sign. That should go there. One of the problems with the sign of life has been that it doesn't get put on a stand that's strong enough to hold it up.
Maybe information materials is the other thing, and stickers and a donation thing.
I presume there is some sort of offline form where this is being planned and discussed. [Sort of.] If there isn't, then there ought to be.
IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN THE MAKER FAIRE YOU SHOULD TALK TO MILOH [OR LOOK AT NOISEBRIDGE-DISCUSS]
NEXT ITEM: bunch of people did volunteering, cleaned up noisebridge. Yay people. In addition, there have been some additions to the laser cutter room. It's now safer. More people can fit in it. Mess cleaned. We'll say 2 to 4 people can fit in there. If you're 2 to 4 people who'd like to laser cut things
NEXT ITEM: Danny has been fabulous, both as a member of our board and a keeper and tracker of things, and he should be our new secretary. Shannon believes that the thing that needs to happen is for it to be consensed on.
Danny is around next week. Non Serviam. But he is willing to co-person -- uh, yes. He'll do it. He does travel a lot. But as long as he gets someone else we're good.
We should have a secretary who is present. Miloh nominates Steve Dee.
Secretaries are supposed to keep track of our documents, interact with corporations for us, and are the closest thing we have to an official voice. Maintain the list of members. Do all the things that Kelly's been doing that she doesn't want to do anymore.
Kelly's take on the secretary thing: This has drawn on for months. We've been sort of making idle chatter about it. Seth has been overdue for replacement for months. What's most important is that there is someone who is accountable. Right now a different person takes notes every week, and that's fine. She thinks that notes for half the meetings would be an improvement, but she's already overloaded as treasurer and wants somebody accountable responsible etc. and Danny is all of those things. Plus he keeps not saying no to the position.
Let's hear it for his lack of unwillingness!
If there is serious dissent, that's fine, but we should find someone else that we don't have serious dissent about then.
Danny: no, I mean I travel, I don't travel for like months at a time, but I'm not here all the time. That was my question about it. That seemed to be answered by "well as long as you like deputize somebody when you're not here." And I am internet-able wherever I am.
Shannon: Miloh, have we done anything to allay your concerns here?
Miloh: Yeah, you've done a lot.
John: We should also add a consensus item that Miloh should be secretary.
Shannon: Miloh, do you want to be secretary?
Kelly: Okay, so it sounds like we're kinda done discussing this.
Mike [loudly]: DOOT DOOT DOOT! DOOT DOOT DOO-DOO-DOO-DOOT!
Ensuing discussion re garbage on monday and thursday night. Touch screens feature prominently.
 End of Meeting
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Put back the membership binder by the Shrine.
- Save the meeting notes to the wiki.
- Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
- Copy the Meeting Notes Template for next week's agenda and update the main wiki page's link to it.
- Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot.