Meeting Notes 2015 12 15
These are the notes from the [https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes
 Meeting Summary
The XXXth Meeting of Noisebridge]. Date: Dec 15 2015 Note-takers: Alex; Moderators: J. TLDR what happened at the meeting:
- Announcements: j: Circuit Hacking Mondays are on hiatus until January 11th. Front-end and Python also on hiatus till January.
- New philanthropists: Mona Lisa Pink is applying for philanthropy. Alex sponsors.
Welcome to Noisebridge!
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to explain what Noisebridge is about:
- Jarvis: Noisebridge is about excellence!
Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Introduce any experimental or unusual moderation techniques that may be using during the meeting like: direct responses, limited speaking time, orderless stack, &c.
- Round of introductions (remember, announcements come later):
- Dawn: I was soldering things. Things for letting me use it. I web dev in the city.
- Will: Journalist. Working on editing a video!
- Dunukuru: Last Noisebridge meeting for a while as I'm heading back to Montreal.
- Jonah: Building zeppelin drones. Airships that will start small.
- Jarvis: I do android programming, 3D art, working on a bug in Java in my app.
- Brennan: Game developer videographer adventurer. Working on a game and making videos of adventures.
- Lisa: My english name is Monalisa Pink. I'm working on Media projects. I do content production. I make wearable circuit shoes and wearables.
- Alex: I take ntoes. I teach game dev Tuesdays and robotics mondays.
- J: I teach circuit hacking to CHM mondays and to other schools and groups.
- Martin: Been doing Unity for month and half, getting serious about it!
 Short announcements and events
J: Some classes will be closing for the holidays. They will be announcing them. Circuit Hacking Mondays will be on hiatus until January 11th 2016 so we can take time off for the holidays. Alex: Python and Web Dev are announcing similar holiday hiatus, so check wit Trent and Jeffrey for more info. Lisa: I will be teaching Mandarin chinese on the 15th of January or 20th. I have announced it on the mailing list. Trent and Mitch will be helping.
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe membership, and the application process.
Being a member of Noisebridge is not like being a member of a gym or your local chess club. Anyone can come to Noisebridge to hack and learn: you don't need to be a member for that. At Noisebridge, membership is something different: it means taking responsibility and committing to help to maintain, improve, and govern Noisebridge. As a member of Noisebridge, you don't just come here to hack and learn, you actively work to improve what you see around you, help to deal with problems, and make this community and space better than it is today.
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Mark down a check or other indicator on every open application to keep track of how many weeks they've been read out.
- Anyone eligible to join this week should
- introduce themselves,
- answer any questions members may have for them, then
- leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime, or cookies) for the rest of the group.
- The rest of the meeting should reach consensus on whether they may join.
- Remember to applaud new members when they return.
Lisa: Can we help organize fundraiser events? Alex: Yes we can use help with fundraising and events. J: Nobody needs to donate to use the space. I donate because I belive in what the space stands for: That education and sharing should be free. That's why I spend time and energy to come and teach here. If you love what the space stands for, we'll be happy to have you. Q: Are there other ways to help? J: Yes if you want to help become more involved. Go to Noisebridge.net and sign up for the mailing list, IRC channel, slack, ask people if they need help with projects, propose new ones. Come to people who seem knowledgeable
- Invite a knowledgeable member to describe Philantropy, and the application process.
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Any applicants must have their sponsor present to vouch for them.
- If there are no objections, they're a philanthropist! Their pledge should be handed over to the Secretary posthaste, after which their token will be updated to give them the 24/7 access they've earned(?)
Lisa: I would like to apply to be a philanthropist. Alex: I will sponsor Lisa.
 Financial Report
- Funds in bank:
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
- Any other details by those participating in handling our financials
 Consensus and Discussion
J: Consensus means trusting the members enough to let any member block something if in their judgement calls them to do so. We're creating a community where everybody feels comfortable with the decision making process.
- invite a knowledgeable volunteer to give a brief primer on consensus process
- It is important that everyone in attendance understands at least:
- Blocking with verbalized principled objections.
- Why we use consensus over other approaches to decision making.
- How consensus isn't a legislative process
- Why consensus isn't applicable to some things like conflict resolution, resolution of time sinks, and the like.
(Add any items which are consensed upon or someone has raised a principle objection for to the Consensus Items History page.)
(Add any new items for consensus to the Current Consensus Items page.)
 Discussion Items
If any important discussion happens, it should be happening after forward progress is made during consensus.
 End of Meeting
18 minute meting, very fast!
- Return the membership binder to its rightful location.
- Discuss any items for which there was not time during the meeting.
- Enjoy the company of your fellow hacker, robot, or robothacker.
 We have a new note taker procedure here for the first time this week:
 Note taker posts the notes
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes including removing all these really verbose instructions.
- Fill out the short summary at the top listing just announcements, consensus items, discussion topics, and names of new members and philanthropists.
- Copy paste the notes to the next meeting page. (They will become Last meeting at midnight.)
- Email the meeting summary to Noisebridge Discuss and Noisebridge Announce lists.
- CC on the email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com if there are new members and philanthropists.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.