Coffee Roasting 101
Next Coffee Roasting Workshop: December 5(?), 2013
If you love coffee and you haven't yet tried roasting your own-- you're missing out! Roasting your own coffee beans is simple, quick, and cheap.
What is discussed:
- Brief history of coffee / SF's connections to the coffee trade
- Where to get green beans
- How to re-purpose small appliances, household items, kitchenware to roast coffee
- Coffee flavors and different types of roasts
- Demonstration/participating in coffee roasting
- DIY coffee roaster mods(?)
We bring ~1 lb of home roasted coffee for sampling so you can get wired and hack late into the night!
Never been to Noisebridge before? Buzz the middle button next to the payphone to ring the doorbell.
Noisebridge Coffee Group Buy
We're working out logistics of buying a ack of green coffee to split! This will enable us to get very high quality coffee at a low cost. Join the Caffeine mailing list for discussion of this and other coffee, tea, and caffeinated goodness.
There are many ways to roast coffee. The basic requirements are heat and motion.
A few things that work well:
- cast iron pot and spoon
- heatgun, metal bowl, and spoon
- baking sheet in your oven
- stovetop or electric popcorn popper
- rotating metal drum over a barbeque
- Though it may be tempting to immediately drink coffee after you roast it, wait a few hours. The taste will improve considerably.
- Coffee roasting can produce a bit of smoke. Make sure the area where you roast is well ventilated or use a fan if you roast indoors.
- A lighter roast will preserve more flavor and character of an individual coffee.
Where to get green coffee
- Bulk purchase from a coffee importer @ Port of SF/Oakland - Most economical, but requires $$, a truck and willingness to move 75kg sacks!
- Your favorite local coffee roaster (many will sell you beans at half the cost of roasted)
- Sweet Maria's - Oakland (you can pickup your order at their warehouse)
- 7 Bridges Cooperative - Santa Cruz, organic homebrew and coffee roasting supplies!
- Green Coffee Buying Club - Semi-structured online coffee buying club.
- Green Coffee Cooperative - Online coffee buying co-op.
- Lions Gate Kona Coffee - Wonderful Kona coffee from a small family farm! (supply is extremely limited this year, due to kona coffee shortage)
- Middle Eastern and Ethiopian Grocery stores!
- Rainbow grocery (they sell green beans in a small jar in one of the bulk isles)
- Homeroaster.com Ideas, tips and resources for the home coffee roaster
- Coffee roasting Instructable
- Black Gold - a movie about the coffee industry and an ethiopian farmers co-operative
- Caffeine - noisebridge mailinglist for coffee, tea, club mate and other caffeinated goodness