(Please do not edit this page without a consensus decision, it's the official process that has been agreed on by consensus. To change it, bring up your desired changes at a meeting.)
Becoming a Member of Noisebridge
- Fill out top third of the application form that can be downloaded [ https://www.noisebridge.net/images/7/75/Noisebridgemembership.pdf here] and can be found in the membership binder at the space.
- Put your completed application form in the binder at the space.
- Persuade two current Noisebridge members to sponsor your application by signing your application form.
- Every meeting, there is a standing agenda item to read all the applications in the binder. You do not have to be present when your application is read.
- Once your application has been read out at four meetings, and you have obtained two sponsors, you are up for approval.
- During that meeting you may request that Noisebridge consents to have you become a member, but you may put this off until the next meeting (or the next &c.).
- During the meeting at which you request that Noisebridge consents to have you become a member, those present may ask you questions.
- After those present are finished asking questions, you are asked to leave the room, and your application is discussed without you present. The meeting may then choose to agree to have you become a member of Noisebridge.
- Once Noisebridge has agreed to have you become a member, you pay the treasurer your dues, and give the secretary your application form.
- Until you pay the treasurer your dues, you are not a member of Noisebridge. If you have not arranged to pay your dues within thirty days of Noisebridge agreeing to have you as a member, you do not become a member, and must go through the joining process again.
At any time, anyone can look in the binder at the names. If an existing member has any concerns with any of the applicants, they should take time during that month to try and resolve the problem. They may ask another member to be a proxy for them to either help resolve the problem (preferred) or to voice their objection at the approval meeting.
The membership form may be downloaded here. There are also copies at the space. The binder is located on the desk at the entrance, next to the donation bin. Note that these items might be relocated through the space over time.
Being a Member of Noisebridge
- Make sure that you keep the secretary and treasurer up to date with your current contact information. It's your responsibility to make sure that the secretary and treasurer have up-to date contact info. If you have exotic contact needs (require GPG-encrypted mail, need messages by carrier pigeon &c) you should make sure to arrange this with the secretary and treasurer .
- Pay your dues to the treasurer at or before the first of the month, every month. If you are unable to pay your dues, please consider searching for sponsorship, or asking the [[ treasurer about starving hacker rates.
- Be excellent to everyone.
- If a member wishes to leave Noisebridge, they must inform the treasurer and secretary. If that person wants to rejoin Noisebridge, they must go through the joining process again.
- Unless a member is on hiatus, after one one month of not paying dues, the treasurer will attempt to contact the delinquent member to arrange for dues payment. If three months have passed since the not-on-hiatus member last paid their dues, and two months have passed since the treasurer attempted to contact them, and the member has not arranged with the treasurer to pay their dues, their membership shall expire. If that person wants to rejoin Noisebridge, they must go through the joining process again.
- After a member has been on hiatus for six months, and the date at which they intended to return has passed, the treasurer will attempt to contact them to confirm that they still wish to be on hiatus. Three months after the treasurer attempts to contact them, their membership shall expire. If that person wants to rejoin Noisebridge, they must go through the joining process again.
- Noisebridge allows members to go on 'hiatus' if they wish to temporarily suspend their membership when they will not be involved in Noisebridge for an extended period, such as travelling.
- Hiatus is not intended for members who will be using the space, but are unable to pay their dues. If you are unable to pay your dues, please consider searching for sponsorship, or asking the treasurer about starving hacker rates.
- Members on hiatus are not obliged to pay dues and they are not able to block consensus items.
- If a member wishes to go on hiatus they must notify the treasurer and secretary , stating that they wish to go on hiatus and informing them of the reason for the hiatus and the time at which they intend to return. If a member going on hiatus will not have regular internet acces or has specific communication needs during their hiatus period, it is their responsibility to arrange this with the treasurer and secretary .
- A member may extend their term of hiatus at any time by contacting the treasurer and secretary .