- We got this reader: SAMSys MP9320 2.8
Various files related to this device: http://techsupweb.satoamerica.com/public/06_RFID/Software/RF%20Command%20Suite/
the reader is now configured and it works. when it detects a tag, the windows software tells you
Tag ID,Tag Name,Tag Type, Total Reads, Rate, Antenna, Date/Time
3005FB63AC1F3841EC880467,,EPC1G2,1648,0.0,0,1/21/2013 11:04:06 PM
this is what the serial data looks like, 57600 baud: (it repeats constantly while the tag is nearby)
we got these 900mhz band RFID tags available from mouser.com as part number SL3S1202AC0,118 they cost 8 cents each. http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NXP-Semiconductors/SL3S1202AC0118/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvQHWqrh58LgXtw8BZ1psdi%252bSfsWYs2XZg%3d
the picture on the mouser site is wrong for these parts, they do not look anything like a 1206 capacitor.
these tags do not have an antenna - they are a grain of sand in the middle of a 3mm x 9mm piece of plastic. On either side of the grain of sand is a copper contact that you can solder to if you're careful. don't melt the plastic backing! the whole thing will probably stick to whatever it was resting on when you soldered it, so prepare. Make your antenna (a loop of wire probably, we are trying to figure out what works best) and solder it to the two contacts and then protect the thing with some hard (hitemp) hotglue or epoxy or something.
the PDF for the RFID tags above File:Rfid.pdf
similar to this from TI: http://elcodis.com/parts/1758620/RI-UHF-STRAP-08.html#datasheet
- Antennas: From the NXP app notes:
- AN1523 has a reference design for a mid-range less than one meter read distance antenna. The antenna is 34 mm x 15 mm.
- AN0972 has a reference design for a "general purpose" antenna with an optimal read range of 2.5 meters. The antenna is 1.25" x 0.875"
- AN0969 has a 98 mm long antenna design, with a read range of 1 m to 6 m depending on the substrate you use. Teflon and polystyrene are best; Rogers TMM6 is the worst but has the least variation across the frequency range.
- AN1615 has a short range ring antenna design. 8.3mm diameter ring. Read range of 2 cm.
- AN1685 has an 80mm x 35mm antenna design, with a 6 meter read range.
- we did not get this reader: