Policy Wonks

From Noisebridge
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Members)
m (Undo revision 26678 by 91.121.27.33 (Talk))
 
(7 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 9: Line 9:
 
* [[user:flamsmark|Tom]], he's just this guy, you know.
 
* [[user:flamsmark|Tom]], he's just this guy, you know.
  
If you want to join the Policy Wonks, please join the [https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/policy mailing list], and introduce yourself. You can watch this page to see when we meet next, but we also send iCal-style invites to the mailing list.
+
If you want to join the Policy Wonks help us out, or keep us honest, please join the [https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/policy mailing list], and introduce yourself. You can watch this page to see when we meet next; we also send iCal-style invites to the mailing list, and post our next meeting on the [Noisebridge#Upcoming_Events front page].
  
== Not a Manifesto ==
+
= Meetings =
 +
 
 +
This page contains the agenda for the next meeting of the Wonks, and the tasks that we have to do by then. If you have something to add to the agenda, please do so here. Previous meeting agendas, tasks, and notes are at [[Policy/Past_Meetings]]. We use [https://pad.riseup.net/p/0OyA0MRFYKtS a Riseup etherpad] as a back-channel during meetings.
 +
 
 +
== Next Meeting ==
 +
March 5 2012, 1930h; Noisebridge, Turing Meeting Room
 +
 
 +
Attendees:
 +
 
 +
Agreed items:
 +
 
 +
Administriva:
 +
* Agree who is going to edit the wiki pages.
 +
* Copy this agenda to the [https://pad.riseup.net/p/0OyA0MRFYKtS etherpad] for group contribution.
 +
* Agree on our next meeting time/place, post to the  [Noisebridge#Upcoming_Events front page] and NB calendar, and invite  policy@lists.
 +
* Note the attendees of this meeting.
 +
* Note any items of agreement.
 +
* Add any proposed consensus items to next week's meeting notes.
 +
 
 +
Agenda:
 +
* Review proposed philosophies
 +
 
 +
To-do:
 +
* Kelly: describe harm-minimization bylaws
 +
* Snail: describe hands-off bylaws
 +
* Tom: describe utopian by-laws
 +
 
 +
= Not a Manifesto =
 
A tiny manifesto found in "[http://ramshackleglory.com/paradigm14.pdf Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology]" by David Graeber. This is not the manifesto of the Wonks, but it does warn against things we should avoid.
 
A tiny manifesto found in "[http://ramshackleglory.com/paradigm14.pdf Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology]" by David Graeber. This is not the manifesto of the Wonks, but it does warn against things we should avoid.
  
Line 31: Line 58:
 
==By-Laws==
 
==By-Laws==
  
Our current big project is updating and rewriting Noisebridge's [[bylaws]] so that they better represent our ethos. We have a [https://github.com/flamsmark/nb-bylaws GitHub repository] for managing the changes that we're going to propose. If you'd like to help us out, please file issues, fork the repo, and send us pull requests! If you don't know how to  
+
Our current big project is updating and rewriting Noisebridge's [[bylaws]] so that they better represent our ethos. We have a [https://github.com/flamsmark/nb-bylaws GitHub repository] for managing the changes that we're going to propose. If you'd like to help us out, please file issues, fork the repo, and send us pull requests! If you don't know how to use Git or GitHub, please read the man pages, ask one of use directly, or email the list.
 
+
= Meetings =
+
 
+
Whenever we meet, we fill out an agenda here beforehand. When we're done, we add a summary, and any things that we have to do. If we don't discuss something on the agenda, we <strike>strike</strike> it out. When we complete our tasks, we <strike>strike out</strike> those items. Incomplete tasks carry over to the next meeting.
+
 
+
== 11 Feb 2012 ==
+
Location: Noisebridge, Time: 17:30
+
Back-channel: https://pad.riseup.net/p/0OyA0MRFYKtS
+
 
+
Agenda:
+
* discuss hiatus proposals in light of the NB-discuss thread, and discussion at the meeting
+
* discuss the by by-laws at https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Bylaws&oldid=10177
+
* discuss access at Noisebridge
+
* agree on our next meeting time/place, post to the front-page, and invite policy@lists
+
 
+
----
+
 
+
== 05 Feb 2012 ==
+
Location: Noisebridge, 1445h
+
Back-channel: https://pad.riseup.net/p/0OyA0MRFYKtS
+
Agenda:
+
* review Utopian by-laws
+
* discuss hiatus in light of NB's thoughts
+
* discuss adopting [[against policy (a tiny manifesto)]] as policywonk's manifesto
+
* make sure that NB knows about the wonks, especially where and when we meet
+
* <strike>wiki templates for board elections & nominations</strike>
+
* adjusting the meeting script
+
* agree on our next meeting time/place, post to the front-page, and invite policy@lists
+
To-do:
+
* Kelly
+
** email noisebridge-discuss about hiatus
+
* Tom
+
** <strike>Add ancient by-laws to empty git repo & link here appropriately</strike>
+
* Each of us
+
** Review at the bylaws at https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Bylaws&oldid=10177
+
** Prepare thoughts/comments on this old proposed by-laws section
+
 
+
== 02 Feb 2012 ==
+
Location: Noisebridge 19:30
+
Back-channel: https://pad.riseup.net/p/0OyA0MRFYKtS
+
Dinner was had in advance. Tom & Kelly were present. Snail was unable to attend.
+
Agenda:
+
* discuss this week's meeting, & response to proposed revision
+
** update the membership page to reflect NB's consensus
+
** re-discuss hiatus in light of NB's thoughts
+
* <strike>review Utopian by-laws</strike>
+
* <strike>discuss adopting [[against policy (a tiny manifesto)]] as policywonk's manifesto</strike>
+
* <strike>make sure that NB knows about the wonks, especially where and when we meet</strike>
+
* <strike>wiki templates for board elections & nominations</strike>
+
* <strike>adjusting the meeting script</strike>
+
* agree on our next meeting time/place
+
To-do:
+
* Kelly
+
** email noisebridge-discuss about hiatus
+
** locate the utopian NB bylaws, email to the wonks
+
 
+
== 18 Jan 2012 ==
+
Location: Noisebridge
+
Kelly attended remotely. Tom was late because he is a slacker. Snail is the perfect child.
+
Agenda:
+
* discuss last night's meeting's response to proposed membership revisions
+
* discuss any other items that were referred to us at last night's meeting
+
* plan revising the by-laws
+
* agree on our next meeting time/place
+
To-do:
+
* Kelly:
+
** locate the utopian NB bylaws, email to the wonks
+
** <strike>get original hiatus consensus from Mitch etc</strike>
+
* <strike>Tom to follow up on mailing list creation</strike>
+
 
+
== 16 Jan 2012 ==
+
Location: Phone
+
Agenda:
+
* membership expiry
+
* comittee meta-conversation
+
* <strike>planning by-laws revision</strike>
+
The inaugural meeting of the Policy Wonks resulted in a revised version of [https://www.noisebridge.net/index.php?title=Talk:Membership&oldid=22687 Membership], which will require several [https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Meeting_Notes_2012_01_17#Discussion_Items consensus items].
+
To Do items:
+
*<strike>Create a mailing list</strike>
+
*<strike>Add content to this wiki page</strike>
+
*<strike>Create [[Membership Binder]] and [[Dues Sponsorship]] wiki pages</strike>
+
**<strike>Add photo to [[Membership Binder]]</strike>
+

Latest revision as of 11:40, 28 July 2012

Contents

[edit] About Policy Wonks

The Policy Wonks are a Noisebridge committee dedicated to greasing the wheels of Noisebridge's vast administration, and cutting through red tape. We're here to tidy up policy matters, and make Noisebridge's structure easier to understand and navigate. We're the secret cabal that does this tedious work in the shadows so that you don't have to put up with it at weekly meetings.

[edit] Members

The current members of the Policy Wonks committee are:

If you want to join the Policy Wonks help us out, or keep us honest, please join the mailing list, and introduce yourself. You can watch this page to see when we meet next; we also send iCal-style invites to the mailing list, and post our next meeting on the [Noisebridge#Upcoming_Events front page].

[edit] Meetings

This page contains the agenda for the next meeting of the Wonks, and the tasks that we have to do by then. If you have something to add to the agenda, please do so here. Previous meeting agendas, tasks, and notes are at Policy/Past_Meetings. We use a Riseup etherpad as a back-channel during meetings.

[edit] Next Meeting

March 5 2012, 1930h; Noisebridge, Turing Meeting Room

Attendees:

Agreed items:

Administriva:

  • Agree who is going to edit the wiki pages.
  • Copy this agenda to the etherpad for group contribution.
  • Agree on our next meeting time/place, post to the [Noisebridge#Upcoming_Events front page] and NB calendar, and invite policy@lists.
  • Note the attendees of this meeting.
  • Note any items of agreement.
  • Add any proposed consensus items to next week's meeting notes.

Agenda:

  • Review proposed philosophies

To-do:

  • Kelly: describe harm-minimization bylaws
  • Snail: describe hands-off bylaws
  • Tom: describe utopian by-laws

[edit] Not a Manifesto

A tiny manifesto found in "Fragments of an Anarchist Anthropology" by David Graeber. This is not the manifesto of the Wonks, but it does warn against things we should avoid.

The notion of “policy” presumes a state or
governing apparatus which imposes its will on
others. “Policy” is the negation of politics; policy is
by definition something concocted by some form of
elite, which presumes it knows better than others
how their affairs are to be conducted. By partici-
pating in policy debates the very best one can
achieve is to limit the damage, since the very
premise is inimical to the idea of people managing
their own affairs.

[edit] Projects

[edit] By-Laws

Our current big project is updating and rewriting Noisebridge's bylaws so that they better represent our ethos. We have a GitHub repository for managing the changes that we're going to propose. If you'd like to help us out, please file issues, fork the repo, and send us pull requests! If you don't know how to use Git or GitHub, please read the man pages, ask one of use directly, or email the list.

Personal tools