- The Second Triannual NOISE JAM
- A concert of handmade, hand-wired, and hand-coded instruments.
- Sunday, June 23rd, 2013, 8 pm
- Location: in the Hackatorium, front room at Noisebridge, facing Mission Street.
- Duration: about 15 minutes
The Noisebridge Orchestra is a free and open ensemble of handmade, hand-wired, and hand-coded instruments. Anyone in the Noisebridge community (which means, everyone on planet Earth) can be a member of the orchestra.
Music performed by the Orchestra gives meaning and shape to Noise. Noise is a bridge to enlightenment: a Noisebridge.
To: help to set up chairs, work with the PA, Recordist, Welcomer, Snack Wrangler, Videographer, Photographer. Contact email@example.com.
This performance is a conceptual piece. There is no notated sheet-music, only descriptive instructions. The composer will conduct the performance.
- Bedlam: During this movement, all instruments are encouraged to play loudly and raucously. Players should play with no regard for the other instruments, and should step on each other's sounds with gusto. Wake the audience up! 5 min.
- Whisper: This movement will begin with the quietest instruments in the Orchestra. Throughout the movement, players are asked to play as quietly as possible, and to listen carefully to the other instruments. Lull the audience into a dreamlike state. 5 min.
- Pulse: Players will play on and around a slow, steady pulse, increasing in tempo during the movement, until it ends in high-speed frenzy. Give the audience a heart attack. 5 min.
If you build your own instrument (of mineral, vegetable, circuitry, or code), then you've already passed the audition. No music experience required.
- You must build or program your own instrument.
- No unaltered, pre-recorded music.
Software, hardware (electronic), mechanical, metal, wood, traditional acoustic, percussive/rhythmic, tonal/melodic, atonal/unpitched, live processing of other instrument sounds during the performance, group-built instruments, circuit bending, hacked acoustic instruments, electro-acoustic (pickups or contact mics), flesh and bone, amplified vegetables.
- Don't be continuously louder than everyone else.
- Be silent more than you play
- Play in just one pitch range-- high, middle, or low. Not all three (there are exceptions, depending on your instrument).
- Don't dominate the sound-space (unless directed to).
(Note: this project is about good vibes and good humor. No drama please, and let’s not take ourselves too seriously :)
- Setup: Sunday, 4 pm
- Rehearsal: Sunday, 5 pm
If you want to perform in the Noise Jam on Sunday, contact firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
Join the Sound-Hacks mailing list, for music hacking discussion and announcements: https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/sound-hacks