Meeting Notes 2013 04 09

From Noisebridge
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
(Financial Report)
 
(15 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
These are the notes from the [https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes The 261st Meeting of Noisebridge]. Note-taker: [[User:Kenhaggerty|Ken]]; Moderator: Sai.
+
These are the notes from the [https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Category:Meeting_Notes The 260th Meeting of Noisebridge]. Note-taker: [[User:Kenhaggerty|Ken]]; Moderator: [[User:Leif|Leif]].
* '''One or two bullet points of high-level meeting summary.'''
+
 
 +
Kyle explains what Noisebridge is. [[User:Kenhaggerty|Ken]] explains consensus. [[User:Leif|Leif]] explains blocking.
 +
* '''Consensus decision on HTML front page has been tabled to next week.'''
 +
* '''Finances are going well! Let's keep it going so that we have 3 full months of funds in the bank.'''
 +
* '''Talking about banks, should we switch to SF Fire Credit Union?'''
 +
 
 
   
 
   
 
= Short announcements and events =
 
= Short announcements and events =
Danny explains the concept that is [[Noisebridge_Vision|Noisebridge]], while Tom explains [[Consensus|consensus]] at Noisebridge.
 
 
 
== Announcements ==
 
== Announcements ==
* Someone was seeking assistance or feedback on something... :S
+
* Kevin: Has questionnaires for his project studying Noisebridge! They are anonymous and 1 page long and about Noisebridge as a space. Results of the study will be shared openly on the Noisebridge Wiki
* Martin: '''Burton High School''' physics students visited Noisebridge today! It was really exciting. We had several stations, Jill from the SF Chronicle was here to report, and their photographer was happy. Thank you everyone!
+
* [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]]: Will hold "Noisebridge 101" classes, mainly on Mondays at 6:00pm for 1 hour, starting soon! Stop by to learn more about Noisebridge and its history and culture and operating style and tools / resources.
* Taylor: I want to take music from my computer and turn into FM (Miloh responds: use Raspberry Pi!)
+
== Events ==
* [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]]: '''Phil Lapsely''' (who presented at [[5mof]], co-invented the Usenet protocol nttp, and wrote ''Exploding The Phone'' about [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking phreaking]) will be speaking this '''Friday, 6:30pm at Noisebridge'''!
+
* [[Frontend_Web_Development|Frontend Web Development]] resumes again next Monday, April 15th!
* [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]]: I will request a new mailing list, '''event-handlers@lists.noisebridge.net''', for those interested in helping coordinate and run events at Noisebridge.
+
* [[5mof]] is next week, April 18th!
 
+
== New Events ==
+
* James: '''May 18th [[Maker|Maker Faire After-Party]]'''! Help [[User:Maltman23|Mitch]] & James organize :-)
+
* James: '''Juggling with Judith''' on Saturday mornings, 10:15am to 12:10pm!
+
 
+
== Old Events ==
+
As the first meeting of the month, we went through the Noisebridge [[Events]] calendar and deprecated the followinge events:
+
* WED 20:00 - 22:00 [https://www.noisebridge.net/mailman/listinfo/zine ZinesFromOuterSpace] - A biweekly (once every 2 weeks or twice a month) meetup for zinesters / printing hackers / DIY publishers, and brainstorming session for the next chapter of [[zine | ZiP]]. Next meeting is 1/30/13, followed by another in mid-Feb (TBA).
+
* THU 19:30 [[Machine_Learning|Machine Learning]] come in and learn about statistical learning techniques.
+
* THU 18:00 - 21:00 '''[[Privacy Bay]]''' - A monthly meetup for Bay Area folks interested in privacy. Meets in Church on the last Thursday of the month.
+
* FRI 19:00 - 21:00 [[Anarchy_101|Anarchy 101]] - a class/seminar on what anarchy is and is not, and how it impacts us as individuals and as discrete groups.
+
* SUN 13:00 [[Songbridge]]: (Bi-monthly) Learn how to make and record music with a computerWe cover midi and vst as well as multi-track recordingBring your laptop.
+
* SUN 14:00 [http://baha.bitrot.info/ Bay Area Hacker's Association - security meeting] (2nd Sundays)
+
  
 
= [[ Membership Binder ]] =
 
= [[ Membership Binder ]] =
* Joseph Edward Martin (Week 1) – No sponsors
+
* Richard Bottoms (Week 1): no sponsors
* Sai (Week 2) - 1 sponsor (Danny)
+
* Joseph Edward Martin (Week 2) – No sponsors
* Nick Shapiro (Week 1) - 1 sponsor (Miloh)
+
* [[User:Saizai|Sai]] (Week 3) - 1 sponsor ([[User:Malaclyps|Danny]])
 +
* Nick Shapiro (Week 2) - 1 sponsor ([[User:Carl|Carl]]); last week I think [[User:Miloh|Miloh]] also offered to sponsor, but no signature on form
  
 
= Financial Report =
 
= Financial Report =
 
+
* [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]] wrote a Python script to go through Mint.com and parse all of our transactions into a spreadsheet and sum total
We raised at least $4489 in cash donations via last Saturday's [[Art|5-year Fundraiser]]!
+
** (obvious violation of Mint.com's TOS and he is a naughty criminal according to CFAA)
We also have $520 in new one-time PayPal donations, $1930 in new monthly donations, $1675 in new-but-not-yet-paid one-time donations, and $1199 in new-but-not-yet-paid monthly donations!
+
* Funds in bank: '''$20,112.92''', hoorah!
 
+
* We need to pay May rent, but April rent has been paid!
That was very fast, very impressive, widespread donation and pledging.  We still need more to get to our $18K goal for 3 months' expenses in reserve.
+
* '''(NOT DISCUSSED: WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE IRS?!?!?)'''
 
+
* Our 3 month operating budget is $18K, so let's still aim to get our reserve fund up to that
* Funds in bank: ???
+
* Recurring monthly donations are now at a sustainable level
 
+
* We did not discuss Noisetor finances.
We did not discuss [[Noisetor]] funding at tonight's meeting.
+
  
 
= Consensus items =
 
= Consensus items =
  
 
== [[ Consensus Items History | Proposals from last week ]] ==
 
== [[ Consensus Items History | Proposals from last week ]] ==
There were no existing consensus items discussed at tonight's meeting.
+
* [[User:Flamsmark|Tom]]: "We add a new plain HTML front page to the Noisebridge domain, to allow for a design more amenable to newcomers. The system for managing this content should have the property that a small number can push changes live, while many folks can produce designs and stage/suggest them."
 +
** Decision to discuss & postpone consensus decision because [[User:Flamsmark|Tom]] is not present and, in contrast to last week, most people present are pro-MediaWiki
 +
** [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]] has friends over at MediaWiki, so if there are things we need or don't like we should get in touch
 +
** [[User:SuperQ|Ben]] has friends who may be able to rewrite MediaWiki in not-PHP
 +
** Many present agree that their favorite language is not-PHP
 +
** '''Images for MediaWiki should be SMALLER! ([[User:Kenhaggerty|Ken]] is dumb) since we pay to host large files!'''
 +
** [[User:SuperQ|Ben]]: [[User:Dr_jesus|Dr. Jesus]] needs to stop pinging Noisebridge; claims 80% (90%?) of all visits to Noisebridge.net are from [[User:Dr_jesus|Dr. Jesus]] pinging us
 +
** Proposed alternatives for image hosting:
 +
*** [http://fuckyeahnoisebridge.tumblr.com fuckyeahnoisebridge] (Tumblr)
 +
*** [http://www.flickr.com/groups/noisebridge Flickr Noisebridge group]
 +
* Ken will make a wiki page to coordinate the Wiki redesign
  
 
== [[ Current Consensus Items | Proposals for next week ]] ==
 
== [[ Current Consensus Items | Proposals for next week ]] ==
[[User:flamsmark|Tom]] and [[User:Kenhaggerty|Ken]] are in the process of formulating appropriate wording for a consensus proposal aimed at aiding the redesign of the Noisebridge.net homepage to make it more user friendly.
+
* [[User:Leif|Leif]] is writing one new consensus proposal regarding creating a new account at SFFireCU.
  
 
= Discussion Notes =
 
= Discussion Notes =
* [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]]: Cory Doctorow has offered to auction the name a character in one of his future novels for Noisebridge!
+
== Hell's Cargo (i.e., Wells Fargo) ==
* We had '''lots''' of discussion about ideas for revamping the Noisebridge front page, including possibly having Noisebridge.net direct users to an HTML page rather than the Wiki. Lots of opinions were exchanged regarding the flexibility and maintainability of a MediaWiki splash page versus an HTML/CSS/JS splash page. A mailing list would be very useful to coordinate efforts and solicit opinions and necessities.
+
* Kevin: Currently Noisebridge's bank account is Hell's Cargo, which is an evil bank. Let's switch to something less evil, like a local credit union. Maybe [http://www.sffirecu.org San Francisco Fire Credit Union]? They have an education business account(?) and pay 2.5% interest and invest locally.
* [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]] has the power to create new mailing lists, so if you are ever unable to get a new mailing list created via rack, contact him.
+
** Why do we have Hell's Cargo…? Apparently last time Noisebridge proposed a switch away we didn't because it's just a bit of a pain, and a few people had direct deposits set up into our account.
* Miloh says to smite Andi if you are unable to get a mailing list created. (Andi has blue hair! and refuses to give others access)
+
** [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]]: People have pledged to donate so long as we switch from PayPal
 +
** [[User:SuperQ|Ben]]: SFFireCU has terrible IT but great customer service, while most banks have decent IT but terrible customer service...so while their tech is bad, at least they will fix it?
 +
** Additional credit union suggestions: Self-Pay ([[User:Malaclyps|Danny]]), Redwood Credit Union (Dan #2)
 +
* General consensus seems to be in favor of at least creating a new account with SFFireCU and keeping the Hell's Cargo account until it is obsolete.
 +
* Someone ([[User:Malaclyps|Danny]]? [[User:Leif|Leif]]?) will write a consensus proposal for next week's meeting
  
 
= Attendance =
 
= Attendance =
* [[User:Snail|Snail]]: Just snail (President of Noisebridge!)
+
* [[User:Leif|Leif]]: Has been here for quite a while; currently interested in [https://tahoe-lafs.org tahoe-lafs]; started tahoe grid with tor hidden services
* Sam: Some guy, non-member, lives a block away; wants an underground train to Noisebridge
+
* Angel: New to Noisebridge; does graphic design, video; wants to get more into coding
* Josh: does stuff sometimes
+
* [[User:Thex|J.C.]]: Does hacking in general; working on creating more hackerspace in the North Bay
* [[User:Mischief|Mischief]]: Linux and Unix hacker, looking for job!
+
* Joe Black: Does security, Unix, web development; first heard of Noisebridge via Mitch; has been here a couple months
* Martin: part of the tree people
+
* Nick Shapiro: Makes games; is hiring!
* Taylor: has been here 3 times, learning circuitry, hopefully programming to make something
+
* Kyle: Architecture student studying Noisebridge as a community and as a space; has been here for a few months
* [[User:Kenhaggerty|Ken]]: taking notes, has been here 3 months
+
* Dan: Does any programming, web services, ...
* [[User:Flamsmark|Tom]]: he is an installation art project
+
* Dan #2: Has been coming for few months; first heard of Noisebridge via a radio interview with Mitch a few years ago; has been programming so long that he is temporarily bored with it, but still gets his hands dirty with code
* Josh: wrote Noisegate Android app, working on web application, needs bottle opener
+
* Dana: Likes to work on LED stuff; is today working on wearable electronics
* Tayupa: spelling?
+
* Kevin: Has been coming for a couple months as well; does a bunch of things on the computer; works in the wood shop every once in a while; also works in kitchen; is doing well
* James:
+
* [[User:Malaclyps|Danny]]: Has been coming to Noisebridge for 3-4 years; thinks a lot and tries to write about technological culture
* Noam: program, nonmember
+
* [[User:Kenhaggerty|Ken]]: Is taking notes
* Ross: nonmember, program
+
* Joe: Third time here; has known about Noisebridge an embarrassingly long time but lived in Mountain View so he went to Hacker Dojo instead; tricked into being a computer guy; writes code, looking to build a stove
* Carlos: member, rewriting Noisegate API
+
* Rupert: Visting from Montreal (greetings from FooLab!); first time at Noisebridge but has known about Noisebridge for a long time (we're pretty famous :p); glad to be here and see what's going on; does hardware and software and woodshop
* [[User:Miloh|Miloh]]: interrupted w/ best procedures
+
* Luke: Also visiting from Montreal; Noisebridge is impressive, enjoys it very much; into computer vision and machine learning
* Evan: fair weather Noisebridger, likes to meditate
+
* Lassl: Visiting from Norway! Here for 3 days; came to Noisebridge today because he was looking for fruit but saw the Noisebridge banner and went in; electrical engineer but got bored of organized 90 degree lines, so he started doing graphic design and font and web development
* Nick: Makes games
+
* Dan: relatively new(?), Renaissance hacker, dilletante, hacker
+
* Curtis: nonmember, program, rewrite Gate API in Clojure
+
* [[User:Carl|Carl]]: wrote iPhone app for Noisegate, needs to finish
+
* Jarrod: junior architect, freelance junior architect
+
* Sai: nonmember
+
  
 
[[Category:Meeting Notes]]
 
[[Category:Meeting Notes]]

Latest revision as of 00:44, 10 April 2013

These are the notes from the The 260th Meeting of Noisebridge. Note-taker: Ken; Moderator: Leif.

Kyle explains what Noisebridge is. Ken explains consensus. Leif explains blocking.

  • Consensus decision on HTML front page has been tabled to next week.
  • Finances are going well! Let's keep it going so that we have 3 full months of funds in the bank.
  • Talking about banks, should we switch to SF Fire Credit Union?


Contents

[edit] Short announcements and events

[edit] Announcements

  • Kevin: Has questionnaires for his project studying Noisebridge! They are anonymous and 1 page long and about Noisebridge as a space. Results of the study will be shared openly on the Noisebridge Wiki
  • Danny: Will hold "Noisebridge 101" classes, mainly on Mondays at 6:00pm for 1 hour, starting soon! Stop by to learn more about Noisebridge and its history and culture and operating style and tools / resources.

[edit] Events

[edit] Membership Binder

  • Richard Bottoms (Week 1): no sponsors
  • Joseph Edward Martin (Week 2) – No sponsors
  • Sai (Week 3) - 1 sponsor (Danny)
  • Nick Shapiro (Week 2) - 1 sponsor (Carl); last week I think Miloh also offered to sponsor, but no signature on form

[edit] Financial Report

  • Danny wrote a Python script to go through Mint.com and parse all of our transactions into a spreadsheet and sum total
    • (obvious violation of Mint.com's TOS and he is a naughty criminal according to CFAA)
  • Funds in bank: $20,112.92, hoorah!
  • We need to pay May rent, but April rent has been paid!
  • (NOT DISCUSSED: WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THE IRS?!?!?)
  • Our 3 month operating budget is $18K, so let's still aim to get our reserve fund up to that
  • Recurring monthly donations are now at a sustainable level
  • We did not discuss Noisetor finances.

[edit] Consensus items

[edit] Proposals from last week

  • Tom: "We add a new plain HTML front page to the Noisebridge domain, to allow for a design more amenable to newcomers. The system for managing this content should have the property that a small number can push changes live, while many folks can produce designs and stage/suggest them."
    • Decision to discuss & postpone consensus decision because Tom is not present and, in contrast to last week, most people present are pro-MediaWiki
    • Danny has friends over at MediaWiki, so if there are things we need or don't like we should get in touch
    • Ben has friends who may be able to rewrite MediaWiki in not-PHP
    • Many present agree that their favorite language is not-PHP
    • Images for MediaWiki should be SMALLER! (Ken is dumb) since we pay to host large files!
    • Ben: Dr. Jesus needs to stop pinging Noisebridge; claims 80% (90%?) of all visits to Noisebridge.net are from Dr. Jesus pinging us
    • Proposed alternatives for image hosting:
  • Ken will make a wiki page to coordinate the Wiki redesign

[edit] Proposals for next week

  • Leif is writing one new consensus proposal regarding creating a new account at SFFireCU.

[edit] Discussion Notes

[edit] Hell's Cargo (i.e., Wells Fargo)

  • Kevin: Currently Noisebridge's bank account is Hell's Cargo, which is an evil bank. Let's switch to something less evil, like a local credit union. Maybe San Francisco Fire Credit Union? They have an education business account(?) and pay 2.5% interest and invest locally.
    • Why do we have Hell's Cargo…? Apparently last time Noisebridge proposed a switch away we didn't because it's just a bit of a pain, and a few people had direct deposits set up into our account.
    • Danny: People have pledged to donate so long as we switch from PayPal
    • Ben: SFFireCU has terrible IT but great customer service, while most banks have decent IT but terrible customer service...so while their tech is bad, at least they will fix it?
    • Additional credit union suggestions: Self-Pay (Danny), Redwood Credit Union (Dan #2)
  • General consensus seems to be in favor of at least creating a new account with SFFireCU and keeping the Hell's Cargo account until it is obsolete.
  • Someone (Danny? Leif?) will write a consensus proposal for next week's meeting

[edit] Attendance

  • Leif: Has been here for quite a while; currently interested in tahoe-lafs; started tahoe grid with tor hidden services
  • Angel: New to Noisebridge; does graphic design, video; wants to get more into coding
  • J.C.: Does hacking in general; working on creating more hackerspace in the North Bay
  • Joe Black: Does security, Unix, web development; first heard of Noisebridge via Mitch; has been here a couple months
  • Nick Shapiro: Makes games; is hiring!
  • Kyle: Architecture student studying Noisebridge as a community and as a space; has been here for a few months
  • Dan: Does any programming, web services, ...
  • Dan #2: Has been coming for few months; first heard of Noisebridge via a radio interview with Mitch a few years ago; has been programming so long that he is temporarily bored with it, but still gets his hands dirty with code
  • Dana: Likes to work on LED stuff; is today working on wearable electronics
  • Kevin: Has been coming for a couple months as well; does a bunch of things on the computer; works in the wood shop every once in a while; also works in kitchen; is doing well
  • Danny: Has been coming to Noisebridge for 3-4 years; thinks a lot and tries to write about technological culture
  • Ken: Is taking notes
  • Joe: Third time here; has known about Noisebridge an embarrassingly long time but lived in Mountain View so he went to Hacker Dojo instead; tricked into being a computer guy; writes code, looking to build a stove
  • Rupert: Visting from Montreal (greetings from FooLab!); first time at Noisebridge but has known about Noisebridge for a long time (we're pretty famous :p); glad to be here and see what's going on; does hardware and software and woodshop
  • Luke: Also visiting from Montreal; Noisebridge is impressive, enjoys it very much; into computer vision and machine learning
  • Lassl: Visiting from Norway! Here for 3 days; came to Noisebridge today because he was looking for fruit but saw the Noisebridge banner and went in; electrical engineer but got bored of organized 90 degree lines, so he started doing graphic design and font and web development
Personal tools