Meeting Notes 2012 05 15
- Delete these instructions section before posting completed minutes.
- Pick a moderator and a note-taker.
- Optionally: pick a membership-binder-wrangler; otherwise the moderator can take care of it.
- Open a text editor to take notes on the major points of the meeting, using this page at the template.
- Project the draft meeting notes and agenda in real time throughout the meeting.
- Edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is proposed for consensus next week.
- Edit the Consensus Items History if anything was reached consensus or failed to reach consensus this week.
- Post the meeting notes to this page, and email out a summary with a link.
- Tell firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com if there are new members.
- Understand the structure of Noisebridge decision-making
- Make sure everyone gets a chance to speak.
- Speak only minimally yourself.
- Keep the meeting moving, and avoid getting bogged down.
- Identify discussion items, arrange times limits for talking about each item.
- Identify and summarize consensus, suggest things that need to be done.
- Get the membership binder and ensure that it is returned safely.
- Say your name before you talk.
- Remain on-topic, and speak as concisely as possible.
- Assist the note-taker with any links or corrections that are needed.
- Remain respectful of other participants, their time, and the consensus and moderation process.
Introduction and Names
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to explain what Noisebridge is about:
Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to give a brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
- Introduce any new or unusual moderation techniques that you may be using during the meeting like: direct responses, limited speaking time, orderless stack, &c.
- Round of introductions (remember, announcements come later):
- What's your name,
- are you a member,
- what do you do, and
- if you are new: how did you hear about Noisebridge?
Cynthia: keeps place going John: Hacking on Biomonitoring Michele: French? Robert: Linux, DBs Ava: Visiting Julian: Spectator Liz: Hangs out sometimes Miloh: Circuit hacking and replicating Jared: Machine Learning, Hadoop Will: 5mof Corey & Marnia: Robo-Gardens
- Cool new projects? Something you'd like people to know? Say now, but keep it short!
- Any happenings at the space of which members should be made aware.
- Daniella- Great idea, provisional patents. Entering tech awards. In Santa Clara, third party recipiant = NB!
- Intro to Linux one night a month. Non techie. Will be posted.
- Hard drive enclosures, internet archive, new fund. Archive.org
New or Stale Events
- Is there anything new happening at the space?
- Is there anything that has stopped happening at the space?
- If this is the first meeting of the month, review all the and try to weed out stale events.
- R started Ruby collaborative mondays 5 oclock
- Thursdays 5mof, looking for speakers. Talk about mother or interpretive dance.
- Maker Faire this weekend- Page on wiki to sign up and volunteer, talk to Chris Lincoln.
- Invite a knowledgeable volunteer to describe membership, and the application process.
Being a member of Noisebridge is not like being a member of a gym or your local chess club. Anyone can come to Noisebridge to hack and learn: you don't need to be a member for that. At Noisebridge, membership is something different: it means taking responsibility and committing to help to maintain, improve, and govern Noisebridge. As a member of Noisebridge, you don't just come here to hack and learn, you actively work to improve what you see around you, help to deal with problems, and make this community better than it is today.
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Write a check on every open application.
- Anyone eligible to join this week should
- introduce themselves,
- answer any questions members may have for them, then
- leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime, or cookies) for the rest of the group.
- The rest of the meeting should reach consensus on whether they may join.
- Remember to applaud new members when they return.
- Blake Griffis 4
- Daniel Jabour 4
- Aspen 4
- Tobias 4
- Jim Sweet needs 2 sponsors
- Funds in bank:
- Noisetor (See the bulletpoints at the bottom of http://noisetor.net/finances/#summary):
You may wish to invite a knowledgeable volunteer to repeat a brief primer on the consensus process.
- Continue Cleaning service or not?
Proposals from last week
(Add any items which pass or are blocked to the Consensus Items History page.)
Proposals for next week
Add 70 minute limit on meetings Select Time-Keeper = Miloh
If an item of discussion drags on too long, further discussion may be postponed until after the meeting ends.
During discussion, it is not necessary to write down exact what each person says. Record the topics of discussion, and any items of consensus or controversy here. Detailed descriptions of the conversation should go on the discuss page for this meeting.
- Additional: Cleaning Service- Have we gotten a good deal? Should we continue?
- DIY bio: 10 minutes
- 2 refrigerators - Full of papayas, now empty, group tried to throw it out. - Does anyone want fridge?
- 5MoF Pitch
- "R" (edited to "R" after meeting to avoid linking an individual's initials to an embarrassing series of events -Jehan) discussion
Gavin Says: - Threatened to kill other members - Tony felt uncomfortable because of other members- i.e. R - Support or help R? - Traditional option is mediation - R has made some threats to someone at Noisebridge -- safety could be a concern to some people - Mediation hasn't worked for at least one person. - * R Says: - Truly appreciates community - Takes responsibility for what has happened - Admits was in wrong - Lack of communication with parties involved - Cycle of wronggness - Drunk - Drunk during meeting as well - Not as jovial as usual -Tony came up to R in agressive way - Would not let him speak - told R to suck cock - R suggested inverse cock sucking relationship - Many cocksucking suggestions were made, according to Kayla - Kayla gives a very vivid description of the cock-sucking language used - Cocksucking story may be wrong according to R - No Cocksucking after all - Kayla just wants to say that R does many positive things around the space as well - Miloh is pissed about R 2.0 - Hacking and not finishing - Miloh says R should leave for month - R doesn't finish his projects, and only makes a mess.
- Daniella says give him a second chance. - Kayla says 2 week hiatus - Will has never had problem with him personally- but when he has heard problems they involve alchohol (mild claps) - No drinking in space for some people - Some people do not believe that the details should be in notes. - Kayla recieved text claiming to be proxying for Tony - Zephyr has had a few problems with R and feels that the solutions are appropriate - Gavin says what about an email list? Mediators as admins. - Jim says that he doesnt like the idea that R leaves. Likes no drinking. - Liz says we should support R if you haven't had problems with him - Ramone says taking break from place is not solution, mediation is good solution type thing, not super opposed to break. But it's not direct solution. - Kayla says brief hiatus from NB can be good. - R says it's a good idea. If it makes people feel comfortable. He is willing to take a break from the space for a month. - Miloh says that R can't argue with charges. It is sexual harassment (of tony) - R says that Kayla's credibility on alleged cocksucking comments should be disputed. - R says: He is not agaisnt anyone for any sexual orientation. Has numerous gay friends and roomates. (loud arguing) (5 minute break) - (meeting recommences) - More to it than is on the board: Complicated proposal: -Bad for NB as whole to tell ppl to leave and send them off - Spending some time away can be good in general and good for R in particular - People feel that it is bad to explain things to R because there can be confrontation - People think that R should spend time away but that they feel that he should not be asked to spend time away - People feel that it is good to ask him to not be drunk (and rowdy) in NB - Does the space need to have a no shitfacedness policy? - Claudia agrees - A few people disagree - Group feeling is that drunkeness is an essential NB ingredient - Alot of people love R, and the events, and the hour long meeting is a tragedy - R agrees with the above. - Miloh advocates for 10 week break - MC Hawking says 20 weeks - No real consensus - R says that he would be comfortable taking month off - We should work out way to co-exist - Space may not be big enough for both R and Gavin - R intends to take legal action about above slander as he alleges - Is 4 weeks too long? - 3 weeks as a medium between 2 weeks (hippie mob who is kindly) 4 weeks (r in his self-flagellation)
- 3 week break and no drinking for R - Community can drink R's beers. - R can drink water, and eat ice cream - Hippie group therapy and avengers movie counseling - R insists no problem with "homophilia" - Whoa, R may be drinking in the corner. But agrees not to drink. - R wants Noisebridge Postcard, sounds like a good idea - but wait, this isn't democratic process. - We're not a democracy dammit. - This shoudl be voluntary for R (it is) - We're not the fucking police (goddamn right) - At the age of 7 R was diagnosed with Posttraumatic stress. This has haunted - Noisebridge demands new Icecream diet for R - let's mediate bro - Our fearless temporary spokesperson demands 3 weeks. - Bio hacking. papayas. on thursday people tried to throw out the broken fridge. something something rotten papayas. What? - Miloh says it's just that we had 2 fridges. it is not a bio hacking thing at all. at least sell the fridge to benefit the space. - jesse - suggestion that something about biohacking.... ? - Oh. okay jesse is actually saying, Does Noisebridge NOT have a problem with diy bio hacking? This doesn't make sense, both fridges wer
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Return the membership binder to it's rightful location.
- Clean and tidy the meeting notes, then save them to the wiki.
- Send a summary of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
- Enjoy the company of your fellow hacker or robot.
- Discuss any items for which there was not time during the meeting.