Meeting Notes 2012 01 17
HOWTO run a meeting.
Pick a moderator, and a note-taker. The note-taker should:
- write notes in this page, put them back up online when they're done,
- edit the Current Consensus Items if anything is decided to be up for consensus next week (stuff raised for consensus this week should be publicised for a final decision next week)
- edit the Consensus Items History if anything was consensed or failed to consense this week.
- tell email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org if there are new members.
- make sure everyone gets a chance to speak
- speak minimally themselves
- keep the meeting moving! you're in charge of summarising the consensus, and/or suggesting things that need to be done!
- get the membership binders and ensure they are returned to the black desk
Introduction and Names
- What Noisebridge is about: "Noisebridge is a 501c3 nonprofit that provides a space for creation, collaboration, and learning about technology and creative projects. Noisebridge provides space, power tools, and infrastructure to help the public learn new skills and create cool things. Noisebridge continues to exist through and depends entirely on membership fees and donations. Our code of conduct is 'Be excellent to each other'."
- Round of introductions: What's your name, what do you do, and if you are new, how did you hear about Noisebridge? Start with the moderator and go left.
- A brief primer on consensus process: We agree and so should you! Only paid-up members can block consensus.
SuperQ -- moderating
Elijah -- works with noiserap
Mike technowanderer not quartermaster
Elijah -- this is Noiserap, new location! Two new machines under construction, two more to come. Wednesday 6PM to whenever!
I'm Michel, sorry but I'm French. Social scientist from Paris, I know Philip ?? worked on hackerspace in Paris. Visiting scholar in Berkeley, working on Max Weber! Very interested in experiment that is Noisebridge. My project would be to make a book or something that I could write on Noisebridge, so I would like to do some interviews.
Rayc is planning to build some more shelves for the electronics shelf
Tony is looking for content for the zine before midnight! He shows off the cover.
Carl a couple of elevator men came to repair the elevator. They said, don't mess with the buttons.
SuperQ is working some more on the lights. If you have questions mail email@example.com
New or Stale Events
Machine learning is moving to Thursday
Sunday we had inaugural Android usability hacking event. We had ten people, good discussion, fine times, fine times.
Funds in bank: $20429.85
Noisetor balance: $3789.54 -- colo has been paid for thru Feb 7th. Additional 4 months of colo service in the balance.
- Read off any names from the binder for the past month. Write a check on every open application.
- Anyone up for joining this week (ie have four checks by their name + have two sponsors) should introduce themselves then leave the area in search of gifts (traditionally beer and a lime) for the rest of the group. The rest of the meeting should consense on whether they may join.
- Matching funds for Noisetor donations should go to Noisetor. (Proposed by Tom)
- Now that Noisetor has undergone a trial period of operation, Noisebridge should extend the authorization of the Noisetor project for another six months. (Proposed by MCT, Andy, Leif)
Proposed consensus items:
Noisebridge should use the approval voting process for Board elections.
In the case of a tie between Noisebridge board candidates, we have a lottery among the tied persons.
- drama* Elijah vouches for Robert. Moderation breaks. A discussion forms on the sidelines and he meeting continues.
- Using approval voting for the Board election (Proposed Leif)
- Discuss adopting the Policy Wonks' suggestion for membership expiry, for consensus next week.
- Discuss adopting the Policy Wonks' suggestion for members going on hiatus, for consensus next week.
- Discuss adopting the Policy Wonks' suggested clarification of the membership application process, for consensus next week.
- Discuss adopting the Policy Wonks' suggestions for how to be a Noisebridge member, for consensus next week.
Motivations for the change are to reduce process for members who become unresponsive, and to discourage using hiatus for members who are experiencing temporary financial difficulty. Will discuss methods for dealing with the latter. Memberships would expire sooner. Members will be responsible for keeping the tresurer informed about thier contact info.
We need someone to run the election.
Diy bookscanner project - Danny
End of Meeting
- PGP Key Signing could happen now, check the list to see who wants in on the action.
- Put back the membership binder in the black desk.
- Save the meeting notes to the wiki.
- Send a copy of the meeting notes to the discussion list.
- Copy the Meeting Notes Template for next week's agenda and update the main wiki page's link to it.
- Enjoy a cocktail with your fellow hacker or robot.