LASER CUTTER. WANT.
- Is this cool?
- Hell yes it is cool. Laser cutters improve DIY projects by an order of magnitude --davidfine
- What do we want in terms of power, deck size, cost (i.e. name brand or Chinese)?
- Where does it go? The DJ booth seems ideal in terms of corner location (for low vibration) and access to window/wall (for ventilation). The DJs might disagree. Thoughts?
- How do we pay? Consensus donations seems to be the only real solution, but we would have to work out quid pro quo (i.e. donors get priority or something)
- at Metalab their software tracks how much time each user has the laser powered on and bills accordingly.
- Maintenance. Who babysits and/or fixes tragedies of the commons? (I will volunteer some but can't be there 24/7.)
- This may make leasing the best option for now.
I will summarize any email discussion here. Also I asked Bre Pettis of NYCResistor (who makes a living on his) for advice. I will summarize any responses.
Sign up to pledge below:
buy or to lease. Buying could be anywhere from $3k-20k. Leasing may be as low as $150/mo. This pledge is non-binding, but try to be realistic.
Mprados $200 or ___/mo to lease
davidfine $250 or $15/mo to lease
DYao $200 or $15/mo to lease
Leif $200 or $25/mo to lease
VonGuard "maybe $100"
Jake $250 or $20/mo to lease
Sargun $750 or $50/mo to lease
Total so far: $3150 or $125/mo to lease
- nix drivers for Epilog laser cutters.