Revision as of 14:43, 19 December 2011 by 126.96.36.199
Kiang is a round tabletop computer for general use.
please feel free to use the table as a kiosk, but be prepared for unpredictable uptime while the system is experimented with. OpenSSH server is installed for remote management.
noisetable.noise user: noisetable pass: noisebridge
- Zytouch capacaitive touch screen built into it, and a small x86 embedded system underneath that..
- VIA Eden board with a code name 'Esther' processor on it. It clocks at 400mHz but cat /proc/cpuinfo shows it may be able to go up to 1Ghz (with active cooling?)
- there are faster drivers than the default vesa setting in the xorg.conf file. they should be installed now
- wifi card
- 05:08.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2] Network Connection (rev 05)
- Ubuntu 10.04 installed on a 80gig 3.5 IDE drive. The generic install works fine out of the box, but optimizations for an older memory and speed limited system would never hurt.
- 2011-10-02: upgrade to 11.04 in progress
- Cant get the openchrome Xorg driver to work well with the VIA eden board. The Ubuntu package is called xserver-xorg-video-openchrome. xorg.conf was modified to use the 'openchrome' device and dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg was run. Then gdm was cycled by /etc/init.d/gdm restart
- A round tabletop system presents challenges to window management designer, it would be interesting to get a touch based system like Android running on this machine. The machine may be down for work on projects like this.
- It needs some Zytouch driver love, which comes from the touch-base website: http://touch-base.com/documentation/LinuxPlatformNotes.htm#_Serial_port_issues
- The serial connection has been routed through a keyspan 19HS serial-to-USB converter. Unfortunately, drivers for the damned thing are only available for Windows, and John has been bashing his head against getting the Ubuntu host to recognize the converter and pass the serial connection through to wine. Windows may need to be installed.