The darkroom is located on the east side in between the emergency exit and the bathrooms. This room may also be used for silk screening, general chemistry that requires a sink and moderate ventilation (but not a hood) and any light-sensitive work.
- Mailing List - Participate in discussion, please join and tell us about your cool photog projects.
- Google Calendar - XML - iCal - Email our discussion list to be added to the calendar.
How Do I Use The Darkroom
Anyone is welcome to use the darkroom just as long as our general rule of being excellent to each other is followed! Here are some other guidelines you might find useful.
General Usage Guidelines
- Introductions and project discussion - Have you met anyone else using the darkroom? If not we'd love to meet you and see what awesome things you're wanting to work on. Please make a post to our discussion list and introduce yourself to the group. By doing this you basically get free help from a fairly well size community to folks on how to be utilized the space and equipment, and also by communicating purpose and resource needs we all can get a better idea of how to have our projects coexist in the space.
- Check the darkroom calendar and schedule time - We have a calendar, it contains dates of times when people are going to use the darkroom. This is great as it allows for collaboration and also helps with scheduling conflicts (it's a small space :P). Email our discussion list to be added to the calendar.
- Keep the space just as neat and clean as before you found it - Many of us use the space, and only have limited time to do so. When the space is dirty, or resources aren't where we expect them, life sucks. Please be kind of help to make sure the darkroom is just as neat and organized as you found it (or even better, cleaner then it was before!).
- Bring up discussion about changes to the darkroom - Want to change something in the darkroom for the better? All ready did change something? Great! Bring it up on the mailing list so we all can bask in the new founded value of your alterations!
- Communicate to the group when equipment breaks or supplies run dry - Many of the equipment we have is old and hand me downs, just in the brink of utter self destruction. Things are bound to break and run out, if this happens, fret not, most likely not your fault. Even if it was, please email our discussion list and notify the rest of the community. We don't care who did what, but are more concerned with replacing whatever needs replacing. :)
- Have fun! - Make cool things, have fun doing it!
Check out the Film Development Guidelines page.
Classes and Learning
Once the space is set up, I will teach classes on film development, printing, and general darkroom use. I will also be available to help out on a one-on-one basis with anyone who would like to learn.
Expressions of Interest
please add your name here if you're interested in attending a workshop.
- Sean C
- Nathan W.
Check out the Resources page.
There is a flickr pool that showcases members' photohacking endeavors, including some that have been done at Noisebridge and in the darkroom. Maybe one day we will get around to aggregating those images here on the wiki.
To Do: Construction and Organization
- make sink counter latch to shelves as backsplash, so we can use the big sink
- light seal the door or erect the curtain maze again
- light seal the fan area better
- light seal the corner which points into the kitchen better (there are some small leaks there)
- wire the fan to the switch by the door
- document and organize the safelights -- There is a whole variety of safelights for use with different types of film. I have no idea what we have currently installed. It's probably only usable with BW printing.--Hurtstotouchfire 22:07, 11 November 2010 (UTC)
- build 2 (separate, so one doesn't shake the other) stable enlarger tables with room for the rolling stools underneath
- check development canisters for leaks and missing parts, repair or remove broken ones
- install water heater/controller and water filters
- integrate the awesomeness that is Nburl into the darkroom
- Cartridge for Minolta film scanner
- film frames for enlarger (make?)
- print washer
- Print squeegeeing surface
- Color print developer (also, a hasselblads, kthx) oh and a SCSI card! fr rls!
- contact print frames
- UV lights
- conductive glass / ITO/FTO
- Sump box and pump for drain & chems
- Chemwaste jug for fixer
We had a meeting! There have been others, but we didn't take notes. Maybe we'll take notes again someday.
Agenda and meeting notes...
A web cam has been installed in the dark room to provide a live feed: