The darkroom is located on the east side in between the emergency exit and the bathrooms. This room may also be used for silk screening, general chemistry that requires a sink and moderate ventilation (but not a hood) and any light-sensitive work.
- Mailing List - Participate in discussion, please join and tell us about your cool photog projects.
- Google Calendar - XML - iCal - Email our discussion list to be added to the calendar.
Noisebridge bug #25 is about improving the darkroom.
How Do I Use The Darkroom
Anyone is welcome to use the darkroom just as long as our general rule of being excellent to each other is followed! Here are some other guidelines you might find useful.
General Usage Guidelines
- Introductions and project discussion - Have you met anyone else using the darkroom? If not we'd love to meet you and see what awesome things you're wanting to work on. Please make a post to our discussion list and introduce yourself to the group. By doing this you basically get free help from a fairly well size community to folks on how to be utilized the space and equipment, and also by communicating purpose and resource needs we all can get a better idea of how to have our projects coexist in the space.
- Check the darkroom calendar and schedule time - We have a calendar, it contains dates of times when people are going to use the darkroom. This is great as it allows for collaboration and also helps with scheduling conflicts (it's a small space :P). Email our discussion list to be added to the calendar.
- Keep the space just as neat and clean as before you found it - Many of us use the space, and only have limited time to do so. When the space is dirty, or resources aren't where we expect them, life sucks. Please be kind of help to make sure the darkroom is just as neat and organized as you found it (or even better, cleaner then it was before!).
- Bring up discussion about changes to the darkroom - Want to change something in the darkroom for the better? Already changed something? Great! Bring it up on the mailing list so we all can bask in the new founded value of your alterations!
- Communicate to the group when equipment breaks or supplies run dry - Many of the equipment we have is old and hand me downs, just in the brink of utter self destruction. Things are bound to break and run out, if this happens, fret not, most likely not your fault. Even if it was, please email our discussion list and notify the rest of the community. We don't care who did what, but are more concerned with replacing whatever needs replacing. :)
- Personal projects and the Darkroom - Noisebridge doesn't not provide any guaranty on personal projects kept in the space, this also includes tools and consumables. Personal projects generally belong on the user/members shelves on the other side of the space which is out of the way of others doing projects. People from time to time do keep personal photo projects that make logical sense to be kept in the darkroom, there. Note that it's not the proper place but if you do use the darkroom please keep your items out of the way, and well labeled with your email address and a date. If your items in the space are a problem to someone, they'll do something about it. Consumables will most likely get mistaken for general donated items and be used. Keep things in the darkroom and Noisebridge in general at your own risk, you've been warned.
- Have fun! - Make cool things, have fun doing it!
Film Development Guidelines
- Basic BW Film Development Guidelines
- Rapid C41 Film Development
- Rapid E6 Film Development
- Darkroom/E6 development - We are getting together supplies to do E6 development. If you have slide film you'd like to develop, add yourself to the queue!
- We hope to be able to do automated C41 processing. We have an Agfa FP200 Color Film Developer which has yet to be polished up and tested.
Classes and Learning
- General 35mm film processing class, TBA --rubin110 19:23, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Lightroom, TBA --rubin110 19:23, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Scanning yo film, sucka, TBA --rubin110 19:23, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Lightning Talks - hurtstotouchfire is attempting to get together a night of lightning talks. Small doses of awesome for your ADD enjoyment!
- Check out the Resources page for a list of all of our gear.
- Chemical Wishlist - We are looking into getting a purchasing account with a chemical supply company, please list items you want to buy on this page so we can accumulate an initial shopping list.
There is a flickr pool that showcases members' photohacking endeavors, including some that have been done at Noisebridge and in the darkroom. Maybe one day we will get around to aggregating those images here on the wiki.
To Do: Construction and Organization
- Address light leaks over the door, under the wall, fan area, possibly put up a curtain
- Fixer waste judge --rubin110 18:23, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Negative scanners - Get rid of them
- Color processor
- Chemical audit
- Write note about leaving tick marks on jug after useage
- General house keeping
- Moving the the film dryer into the Darkroom, away from metal things --rubin110 18:23, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Make a smarter darkroom in use light --rubin110 18:23, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Fix the water heater --rubin110 18:23, 17 May 2012 (UTC)
- Integrate the awesomeness that is Nburl into the darkroom, tag everything
Things that could be bought
- White masking tape
- More jugs
- Dish strainer
- Wire shelves for drying this in the black shelves
- Cartridge for Minolta film scanner
- film frames for enlarger (make?)
- print washer
- Print squeegeeing surface
- Color print developer (also, a hasselblads, kthx) oh and a SCSI card! fr rls!
- contact print frames
- UV lights
- conductive glass / ITO/FTO
- Sump box and pump for drain & chems
- Chemwaste jug for fixer
We had a meeting! There have been others, but we didn't take notes. Maybe we'll take notes again someday.
Agenda and meeting notes...
A web cam has been installed in the dark room to provide a live feed: