Noisebridge is run by consensus with all the members. We don't do anything as a group that everyone isn't OK with (not everyone has to be wildly enthusiastic). We've evolved a way of getting to this state, which is not any kind of definitive rule, but has worked reasonably well so far. Here's what to expect in most cases, except when we get to consensus by a different method.
The Short Version
- Dick wants to paint the bike shed pink. He brings it up at a Tuesday meeting as a Discussion Item.
- Jane doesn't want the bike shed painted, Dick and Jane yell at each other for a while. People get annoyed and they ask Dick and Jane to discuss this after the meeting.
- Dick and Jane get together later and talk out their problems, they agree to paint the bike shed blue.
- Dick brings up painting the bike shed blue as a Consensus Item at the next Tuesday meeting.
- Everyone agrees this is a great idea. Consensus has been reached!
The Long Version
- Dick wants to paint the bike shed pink, others at Noisebridge say this is a great idea.
- Dick adds "Paint the bike shed pink" to Discussion Items for next week's Tuesday meeting.
- Dick shows up at the meeting and discusses his plan with everyone attending. Discussion is allowed to continue on for a week to give people time to read and respond to the meeting notes if they weren't at the meeting and want to be involved.
- Jane thinks this is a stupid idea, she doesn't think the bike shed should be painted at all.
- Jane and Dick argue for 5 minutes, everyone gets annoyed and tell them to shut up, Jane says she'll block consensus at the next meeting.
- Jane, being an member who is excellent to others at Noisebridge, talks to Dick after the meeting, Dick offers to be ok with painting the bike shed whatever color, Jane says blue is great, Dick agrees. Story continues.
- In an alternate universe Jane is totally a jerk and doesn't want to be open to anymore discussion about this, she'll block no matter what. Story ends here.
- The note taker of the meeting posts the meeting notes to the wiki and the mailing list.
- Marty sees the item, even though he wasn't around for the meeting he responds back and states that isn't going to support this issue unless eco-bio-organic friendly paint was used. Dick agrees.
- Cathy emails the list and says she doesn't feel that spending Noisebridge funds on paint is a smart thing, but wont block.
- Yojimbo does want to block this item but wont be able to physically make it to the next meeting, since he's never actually been to the space and don't actually know anyone there, he's having a hard time convincing someone to act as a proxy for him.
- Dick puts the topic into Consensus items for next week's agenda.
- At the meeting, Dick discusses the item and what his new revised plans are.
- Bobby blocks because he feels Noisebridge shouldn't have a bike shed in the first place. Go to step number 5.
- The meeting moderator asks if anyone disagrees to the bike shed getting painted, everyone's silent, consensus has been reached.
- Dick paints the bike shed.
The process is decision-centric, and should be able to re-configure itself around the decision that needs to be made.
There is also the notion of a Do-ocrocy. If you want something done, do it, but remember to be excellent to each other when doing so.