Revision as of 20:51, 10 August 2012 by Schoen
Coding Freedom book release event (Friday, November 16)
Hacker culture scholar Gabriella Coleman writes:
- I will be in San Francisco for the American Anthropological Association meetings two weeks after the publication of my first book on the politics of free software: Coding Freedom: The Ethics and Aesthetics of Hacking (http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9883.html). It will be released with a CC license.
- I did a chunk of my fieldwork in San Francisco between 2001-2003 and thought it would be quite fitting to hold a book event while visiting the foggy city and Noisebridge came up as a possible venue.
- It would be amazing to hold an event in the Mission, at a hacker space, after the culmination of such a LONG project where I can also thank those, like Seth Schoen, who is not only featured in the book but also was a great friend during my time there (and still is, just now remotely).
- I am thinking of holding the event on Friday November 16. I can provide snacks and drinks and can assure you that if held, it would only attract modest numbers; I imagine a handful of Anthropologists, folks from the EFF, some local open source developers, and perhaps a few interested stragglers might show up.
Upcoming Events edit
- NoiseHack, Learn to build, wire, or code a noisemaking thingie! Beginners welcome. Doors open around 11:30am. Keynote speaker and demos start at 12pm. Instructor-led workshops run until 6pm. More details at NoiseHack. Saturday, April 19, 12:00:
- Godwafflenoisepancakes, An afternoon of noise music and vegan pancakes. A monthly Saturday event starting in May. Sunday, April 20, 12:00:
- Consciousness Hacking, It's about empowering individuals to create new tools for exploring consciousness, more details here: Consciousness Hacking and Consciousness Hacking Meetup Saturday, May 10, 13:00:
Recurring Events edit
Please refrain from deleting others' classes without first getting agreement.
You may do this by using a valid Discuss list email address, or else by going anonymous if you really must.
- 7:30 pm - 10:00 pm Circuit Hacking Mondays - Learn to solder! And make cool things with electronics. Mitch, Rolf, Miloh, Cedric, and others will bring kits-for-purchase to make cool, hackable things for all skill levels that you can bring home after you make them! Many sessions even designed for absolute beginners! Bring your own projects to hack! Bring things to fix! All ages. All are welcome! See the Discuss list and the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself.
- 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Front-end Web Development - Learn HTML/CSS/JS. We're covering the basics and then going in-depth on different topics every week. Recap of last week's material starts at 7:30 pm. Join the WebDev list or check our Discuss list for updates.
- Take Out the Trash Night -- Round One Be sure to put bins out by midnight as the trash truck comes between 1:30 to 2:30am.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Advanced Python Slaying the web with Python 2.7 & 3.3. Instructed by Liz and Kellan in Turing.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm Ruby and Rails class - Seminar and workshop for learning everything about Ruby, Rails, and web application development (Church classroom). See the Announce list for weekly updates.
- 7:00 pm Noisebridge Weekly Meeting - Introducing new people and events to the space, general discussion, and decision-making on key issues. This is your space, folks. Come on out here in person to express what you think about what's going on with it!
- 11:00 am - 01:00pm DATA in Turing; understanding and using data
- 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm BACE Timebank (1st Wednesdays every odd month) - Help organize community mutual aid by trading in equal time credits. To find out more and join go to sfbace.org.
- 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm PyClass - Intro to Python in Church Classroom.
- 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm Dream Team Neuro Hackery - EEG research & development project with general interest in sleep, dreaming, creative intelligence, and many loosely related topics such as: neurophysiology, signal processing, cognitive neuroscience, and (especially) hacking code and devices for data acquisition and analysis. Join us at the CollaborationStation (near the Hackatorium). Expect general discussion around 8 PM - usually moving along by 9 PM to focus on more technical aspects of current project.
- Trash Night -- Round Two - Take out the trash for Friday morning! Do it by midnight as truck comes 1:30-2:30am.
- 6:00 pm-8:00 pm Collaborative Coding - All levels and languages welcome for an open, friendly coding session. Bring tutorials, projects, or just yourself. Started on 2013-12-16, but new participants always welcome here!
- 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm 3D Thursday Weekly meetup (non-3rd-thursdays) at Noisebridge focusing on 3D Printers, CNC machines, FabLabs, and replicating machines of all kinds.
- 8:00 pm Front-end Web Development Lab - Understand by doing! A recap of Monday's lecture in workshop form - and a good time for one-on-one help with the material. Lab updates posted on the Discuss list and the Announce list.
- 8:00 pm Five Minutes of Fame a.k.a. 5MoF - lightning 5min talks every 3rd Thursday of the month
- 1:00pm - 7:30pm 1st & 3rd Friday's Tastebridge 2.0 @ Kitchen
- 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm FUN Tutoring @ CollaborationStation
- 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm Godwafflenoisepancakes An afternoon of noise music and vegan pancakes held in the Hackatorium on the first Saturday of the month, starting in May.
- 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm Modular and Analog Synth Workshop NEXT WORKSHOP TBA Learn the basics of analog synthesis on a modular synth with Douglas. we will meet in the church.
- 12:30 pm - 7:30 pm Dungeons and Dragons in Church, currently looking for new players.
- 1:00 pm Monthly Lock Sport Collaboration: Come learn how to pick locks and learn about them with the SF Bay Area chapter of TOOOL. The group meets on alternating months at Noisebridge and in San Jose. Check the TOOOL SF announcement list for details.
- 2:00 pm BAHA - Bay Area Hacker's Association - security meeting (2nd Sundays only)
- 3:00 pm Go - Playing of the Go board game. On nice days we often take the boards to Dolores Park and play there.
- 4:00 pm Elements_of_Image_Making Bi-Weekly Analogue and DIY film making meetup/hangout/nerdout
- 6:00 pm Plan 9 class