Burton High School visit
Around 60 high school physics students are coming to visit Noisebridge with their teacher Ms. Zertuche (Amber).
Visits: Tuesday April 2, 2013 from 9:00 to 12:30. Wednesday April 3, 2013 from 9:00 to 12:30.
They would like to learn soldering and anything about electronics and wiring. But anything interesting you have to teach would be welcome.
Context: students will be starting to learn about electromagnetism and will be putting their finishing touches on their solar homes and be building speakers or wiring their solar home in the weeks following the field trip. Anybody willing to teach a class about speakers, circuit bending, or anyway that you have applied EM knowledge to your current projects or past projects please sign up below!
We should organize this page into time slots and stations for teaching, with notes on the capacity for each station.
- Martin (circuit bending, creative theory)
- Liz (beginning soldering, free/open source software and culture, contribute to Firefox)
- Dru (science, tech, egalitarian decision-making, Neuroscience, C++ & Java)
- Mitch (teach how to solder, electronics, show fun and simple projects -- but only after 11am)
- John E.
- Chandra (?)
- Seth (tours)
- Alex (video game development)
- Lukas (just here to help in between work meetings)
- laser cutter
- vinyl cutter
- Turing classroom
- Church classroom
- 3D printers
- electronics lab
- ?? (add stuff you want to teach here)
- 8:30am: NEED HELP TO SET UP 20 SOLDERING STATIONS IN HACKETORIUM
- 9:00: arrive, introduce Noisebridge, and tours
- 9:30: station teaching segment 1
- 10:00: station teaching segment 2
- 10:30: station teaching segment 3
- 11:00: station teaching segment 4
- 11:30: station teaching segment 5
- 12:00: free time to explore Noisebridge/get food from market
- 12:30: gives thanks and leave Noisebridge (help us clean up, too!)
- Station 1: Main room: Soldering with John, Yan, and Liz
- Station 2: Laser and vinyl cutting with Jarrod
- Station 3: Church: Video Game Development with Alex
- Station 4: Turing: Circuit bending with Martin
- Station 5: Kitchen: Quantum Electrodynamics with Dru
- (the dirty shop?)
- (the library?)
Students will rotate to each station every half hour.
- Do not eat while soldering. Wash your hands afterwards! (Solder contains lead.)
- Do not use the laser cutter or wood shop tools without supervision/training.