Billboards are up!!
As a result of the campaign to put up billboards to promote hacker culture, enough money was raised to put up 25 huge billboards in San Francisco and San Jose!
These were paid for by Noisebridge, Hacker Dojo, The Tech Museum, MAKE Magazine, and TechShop. (And to get more billboards up, TechShop kicked in another $25,000!)
These photos show some of the billboards (all are identical, and all are in high-profile locations).
Location List for 25 Billboards
- Mckee Rd S/O 28th
- Broadway & 29th St SE/S
- W Grand & Union NE/S
- Curtner 100 ft E/O Monterey Hwy N/S
- Monterey Hwy 100 ft S/O Tully Rd E/S
- Monterey Hwy 250 ft S/O Alma E/S
- Bascom & W San Carlos SE/S
- San Pedro & Junipero Serra NE/S
- Mission & Hillcrest SW/S
- Taylor 100 ft S/O Eddy E/S
- Park Blvd & E 34th St NE/S
- International Blvd (E 14th St) 150 ft S/O 20th Ave
- Bayshore Blvd 373 ft S/O Flower E/S
- Mckee & White Rd NW/S
- So Van Ness & 15th St W/S
- Division & De Haro
- Pennsylvania Ave S/O 25th St
- Napoleon 125 ft W/O Evans
- Skyway S/O Decatur
- Hwy 92 .5 mi W/O Clawiter Rd
- 10th St 150 ft S/O Howard St E/S
- Coleman Ave N/O San Pedro
- Geary Blvd & 25th Ave
- Geary Blvd & Spruce SW/S
- So Van Ness & 15th St E/S
The original appeal to raise funds for the billboards
Interested in helping get huge billboards up to promote maker/hacker culture?
I’ve been involved with talks with The Tech Museum, MAKE: Magazine, TechShop, and Hacker Dojo about getting billboards up to promote maker/hacker culture.
The person behind making this happen is Matt Spergel, who has some good experience in hacking the billboard system to get great coverage for cool projects. Matt managed to get a huge billboard up on I-680 to promote libraries and education for a few thousand dollars (rather than tens of thousands). The result:
Matt’s idea now is to have 3 huge billboards to promote maker/hacker culture, with the logos for Noisebridge, Hacker Dojo, The Tech Museum, MAKE, and TechShop:
- 1 street level billboard in San Jose (most likely downtown?)
- 1 street level billboard in San Francisco
- and 1 kick ass billboard on the skyway in SF.
Each one will look like this mockup:
We are $1,000 short of this goal, and I agreed to try and raise this on Noisebridge’s behalf. The other groups have already come up with the following amounts of money for this project:
- Hacker Dojo: $1,000
- MAKE: $1,500
- TechShop: $1,500
- The Tech Museum: $2,500
- Noisebridge: $1,000
If a bunch of people each kick in a few dollars, we can easily come up with the $1k to make this happen. I’m starting this off by pledging $250. Anyone else in?
You can add your pledge to the wiki I created for this
or, just email me:
maltman23 *at* hotmail *dot* com
|Name||Amount pledged||email address|
|Mitch||$250||maltman23 *at* hotmail *dot* com|
|Praveen||$20||dmhomee a@t gmail|
|Ken||$100||ken *at* adler *dot* net|
|willowbl00||$50||willow @ schoolfactory dot org|
|Sean C||$50||sean.p.cusack *at* gmail *dut* com|
|Rachel||$100||rachel *at* xtreme *dut* com|
|Jason Dusek||$100||jason *dot* dusek *at* gmail|
|Joe Schlesinger||$50||joe @ makeitlabs dot com|
|annonymous cash donations||$2800|
|your name here||your pledge here||your email here|
The billboard campaign starts on 25-July, so we have 2 weeks to reach our goal of $1k and make these 3 billboards a reality!
Objectives of the campaign
- To grow maker/hacker culture.
- To create more visibility for our organizations.
- To get more people involved who will add to maker/hacker culture
- To promote more collaboration amongst the orgs in on this billboard
Please email me with any questions:
maltman23 *at* hotmail *dot* com