There was some discussion on IRC recently about building an arcade/MAME cabinet for the space so lets see just how much interest there is out there.
>== Brainstorming ==
- Inexpensive PC running Linux with a console emulator <-- found several emulators that can be installed, just need a PC
- Create a wooden box to hold everything, perhaps have users decorate it with stickers, artwork, etc <-- Noisebridge art project?
- Use an old xbox running XBMC instead of a PC? Could hack it to do VGA+USB and run plenty of emus on there.
- Cheap LCD <-- or free even, thanks Miloh!
- modify a USB joypad/stick to be more arcade like <-- gamepad donated, planning on mapping buttons/joystick to keys on spare keyboard
- Coin slot for donations
- Need somewhere to put it...
- laptop station for members to hook up their laptops to the joystick/monitor
Parts needed (strike out when acquired)
controller<-- one was donated but I got notified that there's a USB two player version of it that would be PERFECT: http://www.xgaming.com/two-player.shtml
- trackball for additional game control
- PC <-- preferably later model with a graphics card that supports OpenGL 1.4 at minimum, see XBMC requirements
Planning on using Xbox Media Centre on top of Ubuntu http://xbmc.org/home/
found an arcade game browser plugin that looked nice: http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48983